London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
3 messages
16/06/2013 at 19:21

Dear gardeners....last year the june drop saw all apples on a tree disappear...blow me, the same thing's happened this year! Why? Does anyone know? Ps great day yesterday at NEC...yearly fix of Monty, Jo and Carol.....

16/06/2013 at 21:19

Hmm, last year my apple tree did the same but I put that down to the warm early spring followed by months of cold wet weather. This year the tree has dropped some but there are a fair few swelling up. Is it a big tree? Could it be that they're growing away nicely but out of sight? Fingers crossed the apples are still there secretly growing away.

16/06/2013 at 21:35

Hi Ritna, only yesterday I was speaking to a gardener at my local nursery and i asked him why, on my pear tree, had all the buds dropped off after flowering, he said that it sounds like I had not been feeding it, only watering it. So he suggested I feed it as soon as I got home with tomato feed and then after a week, sprinkle fish,blood and bone around the base of the tree and water in, he doesn't think I will get fruit this year but if i carry on with his advice, then next year i should be hopeful for a crop.So I will definately feed regularly and then next year as soon as the weather warms, start feeding again, fingers crossed!! Hope this may be of help.

email image
3 messages