London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
14 messages
20/04/2013 at 19:55
Any advice appreciated on where best to grow kohl rabi. Plus how big should the plants be before I plant them in their final place? Any other growing tips on this veg much appreciated as always.
20/04/2013 at 20:13

I grew a fine crop of Purple Vienna Kohl rabi last year outside in a raised bed.  I followed the instructions on the packet for growing outside so did not plant out but thinned out the plants as they get quite big and need a lot of room.  A very useful and delicious veg.  You eat the greens like spinach and the swollen stem like turnip,  great in stews and raw in salads alike!

20/04/2013 at 20:19
Thanks Happymarion. When I lived in London my neighbours dad gave me one that he'd grown and it was utterly delicious! Now I've moved and have a new veg garden I can't wait to try and grow it myself. Do you get many from each plant? Is the plant size comparable to a courgette plant?
20/04/2013 at 20:24

I too direct sow my kohlrabi with good results. A big problem is dry soil, they really do not like going dry at the roots so moisture retentive soil and possibly a mulch, (I use grass clippings, but don't if you use chemicals on your lawn.)

Lastly, I sow little and often as they are much nicer when small.

20/04/2013 at 20:46

I plant gives one stem corm which is what you don't want to let get bigger than a tennis ball in cade it goes stringy.  I found they kept well.  Good advice from Tootsietim about sowing little and often.  I was making loads of stews and soups and freezing them for the winter.  It was a very popular veg. in Victorian times in this country and still a staple in Eastern European countries where they have it three or four times a week like we have potatoes.

20/04/2013 at 20:52
For some reason I'd imagined I'd get a few from each plant! Doh! I'll try sowing direct. Now a good time to do this? Thanks for the tip on them not liking dry soil tootsietim. Please forgive this next question ( I'm cringing to ask as I must sound rather dim) but is a stem corm something that grows under the soil, like beetroot does?
20/04/2013 at 21:13

No, it grews above the soil on the stem.  The stem just swells as the plant grows!  It is fascinating to watch.  You are not at all dim.  Dim people don't ask.

20/04/2013 at 21:45
20/04/2013 at 22:46

I start in modules and plant out like all brassicas at the 5-leaf stage.  They are one of the most reliable crops on my clay soil.. as long as I remember to net them before the flyling rats (wood pigeons) get them!  Purple vienna here, too - later sowings often last into the winter without going too woody.

21/04/2013 at 18:45
Thanks ever so much folks. Great help as always.
05/05/2013 at 15:36

Don't forget when thinning out to put the leavef the thinnings  in your salad bowl - delicious.

05/05/2013 at 16:21

Only thing to add is that they do like plenty of water to bulk up.

26/05/2013 at 16:14

Just to add , you can get purple and green  and both yummy!

26/05/2013 at 19:05

I have never eaten Khol rabi, what is the flavour?

email image
14 messages