London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
5 messages
18/05/2012 at 15:25

Hi,

I thought my miniature apple was fairing well with the topsy turvey weather, but it looks like I might have no apples this year   Let me tell you what's happened, back in the March heatwave the blossom buds starting forming nicely but only in the central part of the tree, it was watered well and during the bad spell of weather I made sure I covered it with fleece at night, the flowers appeared but only on about 3 spurs.  My query is that now I found that the flower stems have fallen off. Is this no Pollination or the hailstorms have battered them. My other question is the tree looks healthy plenty of spurs but just with leaves on  - will it begin to form blossom buds now or is that it for this year?   Any help appreciated

19/05/2012 at 16:10

The flower buds were formed last year, which was an absolutely bumper year for apples, plums and pears.  The tree may be taking a year off.

19/05/2012 at 21:24

Probably a combination of lack of pollination and the unusual weather pattern this year.  My early plum (Lizzie) was absolutely smothered in fruit last year but I can only see about a handful this year.  The family pear has set very few fruit and two miniature apple trees (one a family tree with three different varieties) looks to be the same.

There haven't been many bees about due the the cold and wet, so I wish I had hand-pollinated them all now.  Still, I expect a year off will do them all good (we gardeners have to try and look on the bright side, don't we?!)

20/05/2012 at 11:44

Thanks  Welshonion and Bob,

Swings and Roundabouts this year then, at least we still have the Apple and Pear tree up my Dad's allotment looking pretty good. As you say look on the bright side,

20/05/2012 at 13:14

Interesting these posts, as we have had more apple blossom this year than at any time in the last 10 years or so.  What we have not had is very many pollinators, the bees sensiby stayed in their hives when it was cold and wet, so whether we will have any apples is more likely to depend upon them, than any amount of blossom. 

email image
5 messages