London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
8 messages
07/09/2012 at 14:17

I planted my runner beans back in May and after a very tramatic start thanks to the slugs eating them they have grown really well and are really lush.  I have beans on them that are about 4 inches long and a lot more coming too.

As this is my first year at growing veg can I take it that they are late producing..is it ok just to leave them until they have finished producing beans.

Thanks

07/09/2012 at 15:28

of course,you are lucky you are doing so well.They do as time goes on get tougher and these you can use for seeds next year. You will need to grow them in a different spot next year.with the produce you can share and barter or freeze or put them in vinegar (very nice).beans are on the whole easy to grow .good luck your doing well!

07/09/2012 at 16:01

This is the first year I have grown runner beans I cannot keep up with the amount the plants are producing, I have frozen some, how long do they keep inthe freezer?.

Can you cook the more mature ones, and do you have to take out the bean seeds or can you eat them?       Looking forward to an answer. Bye.

07/09/2012 at 17:18
Beans keep for year or two in freezer, at least. I eat them though before the next summer's crop.
07/09/2012 at 19:25

flowering rose, you do not have to grow them in a different position next year, indeed it is beneficial to keep to the same trench. Just add manure or of course, compost, as you dig the plot over when the beans have finished for the season.

08/09/2012 at 09:11

Thanks for all the comments and advise

10/09/2012 at 11:37

Thanks for your help with runner bean advice

10/09/2012 at 13:21

Runner beans are also called seven year beans in the US as they are a perennial plant. They are probably too tender to survive the Winter in the UK unless well protected though. You should find a good strong root system when you dig them up at the end of the season.

If you leave some beans to mature they will give you lovely large fresh beans which you can freeze, just wait until you can see the swollen beans inside the pods. If you have enough time and good weather let the pods dry out on the vine for dry beans which can be stored in a jar.

email image
8 messages