London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
9 messages
16/04/2014 at 14:50

Hello green fingered friends. I am new to the growing game (started this year) and I am a bit worried about the salad leaf growing in my tiny greenhouse. I've sowed in three rows in a medium sized container but I'm worried about the strength of the plants that are growing, some seem a bit flimsy, should I be thinning them out or transferring to individual pots? I've planted two rows of radishes in the same container (at the top)and I can see myself having the same problem with those two. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42515.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

Lyn
16/04/2014 at 15:34

With radish I find its best to pick the seed one at a time and space them 2 inches apart, do this every 2 to 3 weeks then you will have a constant supply, yours will all be ready at once and you can only eat so many in a week.

Same with the lettuce, think how many you would buy in the shop in a week.

Little and often is the way to go. Unless you are starting a greengrocers of your own.  That would be my dream!

16/04/2014 at 16:28

Lyn's right - it's quite hard not to oversow initially though! I grow some lettuce as  cut and come again and just prick out a few to grow on in a bigger pot which I leave to grow. Then I sow some more a couple of weeks later. It gives a good succession that way. Small seeds can be made easier to handle by mixing with a little sand. You're less likely to get so many in one tray if you do that.

You'll get better at it the more often you do it! 

16/04/2014 at 17:01

Thanks a lot. That's really useful advice!

16/04/2014 at 21:26

Hi Whyfro, Like you I tend to 'oversow' leaf salads and end up with myriad seedlings all at the same stage of growth. Might I suggest using an old table fork to pry small clumps of the seedlings from the middle row, leaving the two outer rows to crop & come again? Station plant the clumps of seedlings that you move into a prepared drill out in the garden - give them a gentle overhead watering to settle them in and they'll come to cropping a few weeks after those currently in the greenhouse (I'd also move them out now into a coldframe or similarly sheltered spot). That's how I treat the Greman Mustard leaf in SW Wales (coastal too) & I can generally gather some leaves on a daily basis all the year round!

16/04/2014 at 22:10

I think I'm going to remove the middle row and thin out the two outer rows a little, I'll use your advice and station plant the seedlings of the middle row.  Let's hope I see a difference. Thank you all for your help.  

09/06/2014 at 15:37

I have planted out two lots of radish - one earlier in the year sown indoors initially then planted out.  The second lot were planted direct.  Both lots want to make lots of top growth and no actual radish swellings - what am I doing wrong please?  I have a similar problem with beetroot (plus the sparrows seem to love eating the leaves!!

18/06/2014 at 19:48

I trim the top half off the seedlings and they seem to grow stronger, and regularly snip leaves off to encourage it to bush out. I grow it outdoors in pots in indoors on the windowsill. I pricked out a few seedlings and lined the veg patch, they are growing the best, bushy and neverending leaves.

04/09/2014 at 20:07

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/58725.jpg?width=265&height=350&mode=max

This is the latest sowing of Mizuna with 'sporadic' German Mustard leaf for extra tang. [sown early August]. This bed should continue to crop throughout the Autumn and winter months (light plastic cover goes over if frost threatened).

email image
9 messages