London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
13 messages
15/08/2014 at 13:15

A strange query but an urgent one for me: how can I stop the cut ends of the stems on my little squashes from weeping? I have three pretty little "Hooligan" squashes, like mini-pumpkins, and I cut them this morning as I want to enter them in the village show tomorrow. They're supposed to be cut with a bit of stem if they are to be stored, and they look attractive like this, but a few hours after cutting, they're still oozing a watery liquid from the cut end of the stumpy stem. It gathers in the concave top of the fruit and looks messy. Any idea how I can get this to stop, or seal the stump somehow?

15/08/2014 at 14:33
Have you tried drying it with kitchen roll and dripping candle wax on it? You could also try sugar, im afraid these are only guesses, sorry.
Good luck
15/08/2014 at 17:50

Hi bekkie  this usually calluses  over , so cutting them early  as you have , they may have formed a natural skin by tomorrow.

If others entering  have cut there's I should think the same will have happened to the squash which they are entering.

But this is my own opinion are for what it is worth :

Any how I wouldn't worry about it , at least it proves they are fresh and grown by yourself.  Not bought from tesco  or even cut 3 weeks ago and stored!

15/08/2014 at 17:53

Hi sorry got the name wrong should have been Green Magpie.I will have to take more water with this falling down stuff - but it tastes good !!!!!

15/08/2014 at 17:54

I'm assuming they only weep because they are fresh ?  Normally, you would leave them on the vine to ripen and cure and then no problem.

Not much help if you want to show at this time of year tho

Good luck for tomorrow Green Magpie.......hope you win

15/08/2014 at 20:13

Panic over! After  a few hours they stopped weeping and dried off. I suppose it would have shown they were fresh but  I' m glad they're OK - squashes are such watery creatures, I was wondering if they were going to relieve themselves of too much water and end up as shrivelled husks. 

15/08/2014 at 20:18
I hope you do well, ive never had the courage to enter a show
16/08/2014 at 21:20

My squashes got third prize (out of 5 entrants!) in the  "other vegetables" category. I also got a first for my carrots and courgettes, so I'm happy.

It's only a little village show, but I enjoy entering my produce and admiring the other entries.

16/08/2014 at 21:28
Oh really well done, im so pleased for you
16/08/2014 at 23:58

Well done.           These  village veg shows can boost your confidence

So what are you planning to show next year ?

17/08/2014 at 07:59

I never decide until the week of the show, but my carrots and courgettes always do well. My French beans are good but this year they're all over too early, likewise my spuds which have not cropped well. Sometimes my very blue hydrangea gets a prize but there are always bigger ones and this year there was stiff competition. There are several floral art classes, which had very few entries this year - I made a corsage which got second prize out of .....two. So that's always worth a go if I can put up with the humiliation of getting a prize for coming last!

17/08/2014 at 09:25
Don't worry about coming second out of two entries - I've known Hort. Soc. classes with two entries only being awarded 2nd and 3rd prizes.
19/08/2014 at 08:57

Yup, been there, done that! As they say, it's not about the winning, and it certainly isn't about the loot (£1 for a first, 80p for a second...). but it does give my great satisfaction to make a small profit on my entry fees, and to know I've contributed to a lively local event.

email image
13 messages