London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
10 messages
26/06/2012 at 14:41

I transplanted my leeks into their growing position on 20th May, but forgot to trim the leeks and tops before putting them into the ground. They have now grown to about eight inches tall, but look very thin and a bit straggly. Is this the reason and, if so, does anybody know if I can do anything about it now please?  Also, if there is nothing I can do, will they thicken up eventually, or have I lost them for this year?

27/06/2012 at 00:10

I wouldn't worry about them and am sure they will grow stronger and thicken-up later in the year.  A bit of sunshine will work wonders (so let's hope we get some!)  I grow leeks every year and only plant them out when I lift the first-early potatoes and harvest them from about October until April, so plenty of time left!  I never trim leeks when transplanting.  Like onions, they are hungry plants, so feed them with a sprinkle of growmore or other general fertilizer to help them on their way.

27/06/2012 at 05:24

thanks for that advice have been worrying about mine too i trimmed last year and had a poor crop so this year ive left them in all their glory dont see the point of trimming off good roots anyway

27/06/2012 at 06:30

Thank you. I have taken your advice and given them a feed of growmore this morning. I'll now wait and see!

27/06/2012 at 06:42

I don't trim my leeks either. Last year I harvested the last ones in about November. This year they don't seem to be fattening out as much, but I'm sure they'll catch up, if we ever get more than one day's sun at a time .  

27/06/2012 at 19:16

One way to feed leeks is to put some chiken pellet manure in the bottom of the hole when planting. As they are hungry plants this gives them all they need.

27/06/2012 at 21:08

right e o chicken pellets   here we go ,,,,,,thank you for that onex

30/06/2012 at 13:10

Any tips please as I haven't grown leeks before. I bought 20 leeks plants on the market this morning - on a whim I have an empty space in a raised bed where my dwarf beans didn't grow/got eaten (again !). How far apart do I plant them etc ?? The bed already has well-rotted horse manure in it.

Thanks

30/06/2012 at 15:08

Hi Daisy Cottage,  Plant them about 6 inches (15cm) apart in rows about 10 inches to a foot (25-30cm) apart.  How tall are they?  If 6-8 inches (15-20cm) tall, they are ready for planting out, so make a hole using a dibber (ie a stick about 1 inch (2.5cm) in diameter) at each planting position and drop the leek in.  Don't fill the hole with soil, but water them in when they are all in their holes and enough soil will wash in with the water.  What using a dibber like this does is help to produce a nice long blanched section, which is usually the part we eat.

30/06/2012 at 17:14

Thank you - all planted !!

email image
10 messages