Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Leggy Courgettes seedlings

SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

I suspect I have jumped the gun a bit with these (Early Summer Crookneck) so my question to you are:

Can you do the same to courgettes as to tomatoes? replant them up to the first leaves (or should that be true leaves)?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I've done it in the past and the plants have grown well.

Let us know how you get on with that variety - are they going to be planted outside?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

They are a outdoor heirloom variety that can go out in Mayish the pack says. I probably start hardying them off in April as my garden is walled in. Don't thing there has been any frost here yet. My nasturtiums are still alive from last year.

Was going to say I'll try to bury them later on. If it fails I'll report back and start again with the seeds I have left.

• I think you may find they get too big before it's mild enough for them to go outside. It might be worth sowing a few more seeds now as back-up. I haven't even sown mine yet and probably won't until April (under cover) or even May (straight in the ground). Since you only need a few plants, it's worth having a Plan B.

I'll see how it goes and report back.

Last year one of mine survived when I planted them outdoors in May (I think). It never managed to produce a single fruit. Probably due to the horrible summer we had.

The courgettes are not doing to well. The one I buried a bit has died. One has been blown about so much that it has almost broken (toothpick and tape seems to have sort this. Just spotted this happened to a second one but will deal with that when the wind has calmed down. the final is ok but leggy.

Have planted too more seeds.

• ninnin Posts: 216

I have been planting my courgettes out last 10 days with 4-6 adult leaves have planted with bottles over the top to protect from the wind and cold . just cutting of plastic bottle bottoms 2 or 3 litre bottles. Bottoms make great saucers for ones still in pots and covered courgettes are doing great despite coming of my windowsill to a cold windy garden.

First time i have loved the silly recycling boxes we have here they are great for raiding.image

Hehehehe Nin, I have done the same thing.

This is not going too well. The last seedling has died due to the stem drying up! the seeds I planted almost a month ago has probably rotted. Have now planted my two last seeds but I am not hopefull. Maybe I should bring one of them indoors to help it germinate.

• I sowed mine two weeks ago in a heated propagator. They are now in the greenhouse and won't go outside until the end of this month.