London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 16°C
5 messages
23/07/2013 at 12:26

just had a nose in the what to do now section of GW.com.  they recommend planting out lettuce???????  This time of the year you dont need to sow lettuce in pots, sowing direct is just as easy, it saves root disturbance and also saves the cost in not buying in compost.  if you sow only 1/2 or 1/4 row at a time, you should always have room at the end of the row to sow fresh seeds a couple of weeks later giving a sucessional crop without the need to buy in compost.  i dont understand why the recommend having to plant out.????? 

23/07/2013 at 13:42

Thats ok , but everything I put in  as seed in the ground last year was eaten either by slugs or pigeons. This year everything has gone in as plants started from seed in the greenhouse. At least they have a fighting chance. 

23/07/2013 at 18:30

Some people subscribe to the idea that lettuce will not germinate in the open ground when it is too hot.

It is easier to shade the seed in a greenhouse than in the open soil.  Discuss.

Also planting out  the lettuces will enforce sucession as the seedlings recover from planting out. And they can be fitted in wherever they are wanted, in a spare space.

The choice is up to the grower.

23/07/2013 at 19:47

I do,it both ways but sowing in pots is better.....for me.

Planting out lettuces from 9 cm pots ensures regular spacing and better plants. Looks better too in the rows!  As long as you water well when planting and then for week or so after the lettuces grow fast.

23/07/2013 at 20:29

If your space is limited it's sometimes more practical to start some plants off in trays and modules, planting  them out when the broad beans are over, for example. 

email image
5 messages