Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Little gems...

Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267
I've about a dozen Little gem lettuce plants growing in pots....never grown them before. The plan was to grow tender salad veggies in beds in the back garden.

Ever so pleased with them, I'm surprised at how healthy they are, didn't expect them to grow and reach this stage. It seems a shame to plant them out to risk them being eaten by slugs/snails with only pellets for protection image

Q - Would they grow on if I just pot up or will their roots be too restricted.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Yum Zoomer, well done! Home grown lettuce is much nice than the stuff at the shops image
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139
    How big are they Zoomer - it's all very well to say 'Pick them and eat them now' but if they've only got say 4 leaves, that's a bit of a waste.

I'm growing Little Gem in a raised bed. I thinned them out when they were tiny - transplanting the thinned seedlings so they're a little bit behind the first row.

Now they need thinning again so we'll be having salad with the thinnings any day now - I shall be thinning them to about 6" apart and I'll leave the rest to form lovely firm hearts.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267
    It is a waste to pick them now they aren't much more than salad leaves and the aim was to grow the proper thing with a good heart in the middle before picking.

Dove - apart from sulg pellets for protection is it just a case of watering regularly. What I might do is grow half in pots and plant half out.
    Mine are growing on nicely with, as you say, regular watering and sunshine. They do need to be thinned out in order to get them to form nice hearts.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    Is it too late to sow little gems now? I've just sown some mixed salad leaf seeds today but love little gems.....Caesar salad, yum image
    I start most veg off in modules, will plant half out this week and hope my regular hoilday watering doesn't forget to water them next week image
    Don't think it's too late OL, I sowed more only last week.
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    Fab image thank you
    I sowed another row last week as well, and if I can find the space I'll sow another row in late July.