London (change)
Today 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
3 messages
19/04/2014 at 23:24

Hi

Does anyone have any knowledge as to whether it is safe to use low voc paint on terracotta pots for vegetable and herb plants please?

I would appreciate it, if possible, as much in depth information (or link to) as possible.

Cheers

Alan

20/04/2014 at 06:30

Given that low voc paints will contain a lower amount of toxic volatile organic compounds than conventional paint, I can only assume that using them is much safer than using conventional paint - that is the point of them  http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/feb/09/eco-natural-paints-guide-best 

However, for me one of the important properties of terracotta pots is that they are naturally porous and allow air and moisture to pass through - for some plants, particularly ones that are going to spend their lives in a pot, and for mediterranean plants in particular, I find this to be a distinct advantage as it helps prevent waterlogging of the roots.  I'm concerned that painting the pots may mean that the pots lose their porosity. 

20/04/2014 at 08:38

I agree. The advantage of terra cotta is that it "breathes". Much healthier for the plants involved. Painting would have to seal the porous surface.

email image
3 messages