London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
7 messages
01/03/2014 at 15:21

Hi Everyone can anyone please tell me how soon after putting manure on my allotment can I plant, due the the weather I was unable to spread it on my plot before,

thank you

B

01/03/2014 at 16:58

depending on your soil(at the moment I can not do a thing as my clay soil is waterlogged) I would dig a trench and put your manure in that ready for your beans and really you needed to put it on well before you need to plant out or put seeds in. My husband does this in autumn and early spring usually.

01/03/2014 at 17:11

If it was well-rotted manure, then you should be ok to plant things out, but pull back any manure from the surface near where you are planting.  Don't sow seeds into a freshly manured bed though. 

02/03/2014 at 02:11

Thank you Flowering Rose & Bob the gardener for your replies. first of all the manure is the well rotted farmyard purchased in bags, and my soil is not waterlogged at all ( I know i'm very lucky)  my plan was as im off the next 2 weeks was to get stuck in to the weeds then fork in the manure leave that a couple of weeks before planting. I will definitely do the manure trench  for my runner beans  ( 1 of my favourite especially the borloti  beans) .so would you say that'll be ok to do?

thank you B  

02/03/2014 at 06:57

Hi Barbie

that sounds like a good plan - it's exactly what I plan to do - let's hope the weather is fine for us 

03/03/2014 at 02:48

Hi   Dovefromabove  wish us both luck

19/03/2014 at 15:00

Has anyone ever used alpaca poo as manure or plant feed/tea? I understand it is not a hot manure (not quite sure what that means actually) but I'm hoping my poo picking is of benefit to me (fitness) my girls (keeping the fields clean) and my plants??

email image
7 messages