London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
15 messages
26/05/2012 at 16:55

I have grown some marketmore cucumbers which I'm hardening off ready to plant out. However I have not grown these before, only a greenhouse variety.

I've read they can be grown in pots or straight in the ground, trained up a trellis or an obelisk or left to trail along the ground. I'm confused as to what to do - if anyone has grown these can you advise please? many thanks, Janet

26/05/2012 at 17:25

I've grown these in a raised bed. I think I trailed them up a low slope on a bit of trellis that was propped at an angle to face the sun, and also it helped to keep the plants off the ground and minimise any problems with slugs or snails. But I think you can just let them trail if you want to, as you would a courgette plant. Depends on where you want to put them.

26/05/2012 at 22:20

I'm trying these for the first time too, just planted them out into what was a flower border, south facing. The soil is well banked up and I have put bamboo canes and pea/bean netting at about a 45 deg. angle against the fence. Each plant has an upturned plastic bottle (with the end cut off) next to it so that I can water the roots directly and effectively. The only time I've grown cukes before was 'Burpless Tasty Green' on my allotment and they were a bit disappointing, but that was quite a long time ago when I was pretty green myself!

27/05/2012 at 08:21

I grew them last year for the first time in a poly growhouse, fantastic cucumber, very prolific. I tied string from the frame of growhouse it woked a treat.

H7
27/05/2012 at 10:28

i have recently sowed these seeds how long to germinate .i am new to growing veg have also sowed some courgette sweet peppers tomatoes broccoli cauliflower and leeks

27/05/2012 at 11:58

I grew these last year on a spare piece of my allotment and they produced a lot of smallish cucumbers, very tasty, but I found that if ;left to grow bigger  the skins just became very tough and I had to peel them to eat them, which is ok if you normally peel a cucumber, which I dont

27/05/2012 at 17:04

I think outdoor cucumbers are more likely to have tough skins and need peeling. I didn't find Marketmore very prolific, but then I'd expect this compared with growing them under glass.

They should only take a few days, maybe a week, to germinate (unless they are going to sulk and rot as some of mine did this year).

27/05/2012 at 18:06

I too have marketmore and wasn't sure where to plant them. Decided to plant in to a raised bed with a tripod if canes with netting for them to clumb up. Sunny but sheltered area, so hope they are successful.  I am never too successful at cucumbers, anyone got any particular tips or types that are fairly easy to grow?

27/05/2012 at 20:23

I grow a few Marketmore outside each year because I don't have a satisfactory result trying to grow toms and cucs in the same GH. I pick them gherkin size and love the nutty flavour... more satisfying than these mega sized, tasteless varieties in my opinion. Don't overwater!

28/05/2012 at 18:03

Thanks for all the replies. On balance they sound like a trailer not a climber so that's how I'll treat them. I love cucs so hopefully with these and my greenhouse ones I am going to be a happy bunny!

H7
31/05/2012 at 13:34

i sowed my market more cucumbers on 23/5 no sign yet but 5 of my sweet peppers that i sowed out of 12 on 5/5  have shown signs of life this week.

15/05/2013 at 01:01

Please can some one help me, I've been planting market more cucumbers from seed and growing them indoors as I don't have a green house or garden. They are growing really good at the monent but need to know how much room do they need and how tall will they grow. 2nd. Will they flower on there own or do I, need to give them any assistant.  Any help would be good.

24/07/2013 at 17:56

Mine are now about 4' growing up a cane against a fence and in grobags. Came here looking for best size to harvest. One about 6' long, so here goes!

24/07/2013 at 22:48

Shaun, I don't know if you have any outside space at all, but we have been growing our courgettes in hanging baskets to keep the slugs off them, and they have worked really well - I think partly because it's very easy to monitor how much water/food they're getting.  I imagine that might work with cucumbers as well?

03/08/2013 at 03:35

Anyone know if the prikly things on cucumber have anything to do with knowing whether they are ripe or not? I thought that I have read before to pick them when the prickly things smooth out, but I don't remember. 

Thanks 

Dana

email image
15 messages