London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
9 messages
05/10/2012 at 09:40
Can I plant rhubarb in containers? I only have a small back yard so have to do all my gardening in pots so looking for fruits to try other than strawberries
05/10/2012 at 10:58

Yes, but it'll need to be a big container and you will have to water it well.

05/10/2012 at 11:44
Blueberries do well in pots, but need ericaceous compost.
05/10/2012 at 14:19

I have a rhubarb in a pot which I planted this year in the spring and which has had several sticks on it.  I understand you shouldn't pick the rhubarb in the first year, so now I am hoping that I can get it through the winter without losing it.  I plan to wrap the pot in bubble wrap and top up the soil and then keep my fingers crossed.  I also bought a raspberry this year (Autumn Bliss) which can be grown in a pot and again I am hoping it will survive the winter.  There are flowers on it at the moment, but I think the weather is against it this year.  Hopefully we will have a better year next year.  It is worth trying as you never know.

05/10/2012 at 15:34

Why not try carrots ...in a sandy/light compost & you can eat them as fruits.  ??

05/10/2012 at 16:38

I thought rhubarb grows in Siberia and raspberries in Scotland so they should both be hardy in winter. Rhubarb like to be kept watered.

08/10/2012 at 17:06

Yes, and it does very well if kept well watered. My neighbour loves it and thinks it is too expensive to buy(she is 82!!) So last year I planted four roots in some large redunant pots from my garden and they did VERY well.(I mean the rubarb) She has just picked her last lot  for the year and we have covered the crowns with spent compost.....result, one very happy young lady. So do try it and good luck!

10/10/2012 at 12:46
jatnikapyar wrote (see)

Yes, and it does very well if kept well watered. My neighbour loves it and thinks it is too expensive to buy(she is 82!!) So last year I planted four roots in some large redunant pots from my garden and they did VERY well.(I mean the rubarb) She has just picked her last lot  for the year and we have covered the crowns with spent compost.....result, one very happy young lady. So do try it and good luck!

10/10/2012 at 15:24

My rhubarb is planted next to a compost heap at the allotment, this year it was massive. I did notice it was expensive in the shops and it did get plenty of water this year

email image
9 messages