London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 13°C
3 messages
29/08/2013 at 18:45

Hi everyone,

I hope a knowladgable gardener is there somewhere...

I need some advice please about "moving" a currant bush.

Can I dig it out now and plant at another place? Do I have to cut back the roots (like roses)? I would be most grateful for any advice. I don't want to make any mistakes because I don't want to lose the bush. The bush is 3 or 4 years old.

Thanks

29/08/2013 at 19:02

Sybille, now is not the best time to move shrubs like blackcurrant - best to wait until late Autumn.   They are tough plants though, so if you must move it now it would very likely be OK as long as you kept it well watered for the next 6-8 weeks. You want to dig a circle all the way around it and take as much root (with soil still attached) as possible.  The bigger the root-ball the better.  They also grow incredibly easily from cuttings - cut branches that are at least a foot long from a main stem and remove all of the leaves.  Trim the bottoms with a cut straight across and then trim the tops with an angled cut so you are left with 'sticks' about 9-10 inches long.  Plant them so that 2/3rds of the cutting is under the soil.  Wait.  

29/08/2013 at 21:36

Agree with BTG and will second how incredibly easy they are to grow from hard wood cuttings. I took some cuttings last year, six to a 6' pot aftet dipping in rooting powder, half have rooted. They are still quite small but have leaves and look heathly. They don't need any TLC just regular watering to stop the pots drying out. I brought the pots into the GH when the weather started to get cold and put them back out in Spring.  

Why not take some cuttings before moving as a back up, you've nothing to lose and could end up with several plants.   

email image
3 messages