London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
13 messages
26/01/2014 at 18:12
On Friday I am having a new border made in my garden and will be moving some plants/bushes about. At the moment I have fruit bushes in one corner of my veg patch, but they don't have enough room. There are raspberries, blueberry, gooseberry (from my mum and never produced fruit yet!!) and new at the end of last summer when cheap are red currant and black currant. I am thinking of moving these into an area of spare border next to my veg patch. Is it ok to do this now and should I treat the soil first.....anything else I need to know? Thanks in advance. T
26/01/2014 at 18:24

Tracey, now is best time to move your bushes.  

No special treatment for your soil but always best to get in extra compost etc.  When you do incorporate some fish blood and bone.  I think in terms of 5' between bushes.

Those blueberries?  We have discussed these in other threads but they do need very acid soil.

Re blackcurrants I would cut them totally down to the base after planting.  I think extra fertiliser for them too.  

26/01/2014 at 19:12

I'd agree with verdun, however if you can identify last years fruited branches on the blackcurrants, I'd prune those out and keep any new branches for fruiting this year.

It can be difficult, however last years branches will be darker in colour than the new wood.

Blackcurrants fruit on wood produced the previous year and even moving them now you will still get a crop this year.

26/01/2014 at 19:49
Gosh, all that bit about wood and last years fruit has gone totally over my head!! We didn't get any blackcurrants or redcurrants last year, I presumed it was because they were new.

If I move them now, will they still fruit?

My blueberries must be the exception to the norm because although I haven't tested my soil yet, I think it is more alkaline. I am going to get a test kit tomorrow though.

5' between bushes, that would take up my entire border, can I put bedding plants in too?

One other question and I did ask this on anther thread but don't think it got answered, rhubarb.....can I move it and does it like shade? It is well established and produces loads of fruit each year (and made very nice chutney )
26/01/2014 at 20:34

Tracey, you will need to allow reasonable distance between plants....what spacing can you allow? 

I guess they would   fruit if you move them but those that are moved I would give them a chance  to build up energy for next year.....best in the long run. 

Rhubarb can be dug up and divided now.  Always better in sun but partial shade will be ok.  If you split your rhubarb dont pick any this year.  Get plenty of compost in there too.

26/01/2014 at 20:41
Thanks Verdun, I will have a look tomorrow at exactly how much space I have, it's quite a wide border (about 3') so I could plant them so they aren't in a row and that would give them more space and could probably allow about 4' between them. I will dig in some extra compost and food whilst I'm doing it and see what happens.

I will post a pic after next weekend Thanks for your help, again....exciting times (I know I keep saying it!)
26/01/2014 at 21:21
Verdun, I've been out (in the wind and rain!!) and measured, I have an area of approx 3ft x 9ft (1m x 3m give or take a bit) and think I will put my raspberries at the back and try to train them against the fence, also the gooseberries at the back (they may not do anything as haven't yet) and my black currant, redcurrant and blueberry at the front with approx 3 ft between each. They are only small so I will see how I go with that.
26/01/2014 at 21:35

Tracey.  Now is a very good time to move practically anything.  I admit.  I have moved various plants, trees, shrubs etc whilst they have been in full growth.  Thankfull all have survived, however, to move, transplant etc at the wrong time, it so often sets the subject back.  Tracey.  Mike is not a fruit man.  Althogh during my career lifetime I have had to contend with this area of expertise. Especially if, where you live is so sodden as Eltham.  A great time to move around.  For some sads reason, and I have observed this now for more years that I care to remember.  Even amongst hardened allottment owners. Gardeners seem to fear..cutting back.  Might I quote.  Must be all of forty years back.  A great friend once said.  That's the bush young Mick.  That black currant.  Never fails.  You know.  It's been there now for what/  the past twenty years.  and I haven't touched it.  Thinking back...how time flies?  The main stem/trunk of that bush must have been around two to two and a half inches thick.

Tracey.  Most fruiting /flowering takes place on tghe previous years growth.  So don't be afraid to get in there with the secateurs.  Cut out the old wood.  Do your best to encourage fresh new growth.  Your raspberries. These need to be cut back hard every year.  Your rhubarb.  Once the top growth has died down. Lift and seperate.  Ooops sounds like a et femm ad.  Remember to force rhubbarb, encircle the plant with an endless bin or tube.  This will encourage the growth to reach for  the sky.  To increase your stock.  Lift it.  It will look like a lump of rottin wood.  Using a spade, give it a cop or two.  Replant.

Enjoy your garden.

Mike.

26/01/2014 at 21:38
You make splitting rhubarb so easy Mike, I am so scared of killing it!!! But if I split it I can't use the growth this year either so will have no rhubarb?? Think I may leave this year and just force it, what do you think?
26/01/2014 at 22:34

Tracey, it makes sense to plant as you have said 

If you don't feel ready to split your rhubarb then don't.  Sort your fruit this year then consider the rhubarb for next year.   It doesn't all need doing now.  

27/01/2014 at 08:14
I'm going to be a busy girl next weekend, busy week first though doing paid work!!! Thanks Verdun, Mike and Dave
27/01/2014 at 22:13

Possibly most unorthordox to some, but over the years it has worked without fail form.  With the rhubarb.  Lift it.  Then simply slice it through the middle with a spade.  Replant.  I have never even treated the cut surfaces.  Like i say.  Never a failure.

27/01/2014 at 22:42
Thanks Mike, but do you use the rhubarb the year you've split it or do you need to wait a year?
email image
13 messages