London (change)
Today 9°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
7 messages
26/01/2013 at 20:23

Hi,i am having to move some summer flowering Raspberry canes,these have had the previous fruiting canes cut back,what i would like to know is,should i prune this seasons fruiting canes back before i move them,or move them as they are.

26/01/2013 at 20:26
I'm confused by your question, you say the fruiting canes have been cut back, then ask if the fruiting canes should be cut back?
26/01/2013 at 20:34

I think I get it -last seasons dead canes have been removed and this years fruiting canes are intact?

If you remove those- then no fruit this year.

26/01/2013 at 21:05

Sorry for a confusing post.

What i mean is,that i have to move the Canes from where they are at the moment to a new area in the garden,should i prune them before moving them.

27/01/2013 at 08:30

I think that if you can transplant them with the biggest rootball possible to avoid disturbance to the roots, and you do it now, while the plant is dormant, you might just get away with not remving the new canes and losing this year's fruit.

Prepare the fresh bed as well as you can to give them the optimum chance, firm them in well and put in plenty of supports to tie the new canes to so they don't get windrock - this will give the roots a chance to bed in.  Good luck 

27/01/2013 at 10:35

I think at this time of year they will be fine to move. I have done it before and the soil fell off (drier winter) so there wasn't much rootball and they grew. Just keep them watered in the growing seasoning if we have a dry spring.(?!!) Don't plant them too deeply.

30/01/2013 at 18:41

Thanks everyone for the advice much appreciated.

Fred

email image
7 messages