London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
11/07/2013 at 09:04

So the blackcurrants we inherited are now looking nice and plump and black... the only issue is that they taste disgusting! I'm not actually sure that I've ever tasted a fresh blackcurrant before (amazingly) but I'm pretty sure they're meant to taste sweet or maybe tart but FRUITY. These ones have the most unusual flavour and all I can liken them to is meat, more specifically chicken! Is this normal? Is there a variety that's meant to taste this way? Have I done something wrong with them? I am very perplexed as there are hundreds of the things!! 

11/07/2013 at 14:23

I find fresh blackcurrants quite tart, and they are usually used in pies or jam with lots of sugar, but in no way would I describe them as chicken like.

Are you absolutely sure they are blackcurrants? Have you a photo of the bush and leaves and fruit.?  The leaves normally smell very blackcurranty if you crush them.

11/07/2013 at 15:14

They only taste sweet when they are very, very ripe and just about to fall off the bush.  They definitely need sugar to bring out their flavour.  They are rarely eaten raw; usually cooked.

11/07/2013 at 15:34

Gff is it an after taste that you get? They taste fine to me until I swallow them then I get a horrid after taste  wouldn't say chicken lol but definitely not nice.

11/07/2013 at 18:15

Its not just an after taste Addict, its a 'during' taste lol. My mum just tasted them and said they are meant to taste like that! Well if that's the case I'm replacing them next year! 

I will try cooking them in something sweet Fidget & Welsh.. it would be such a shame to waste them all. They are definately blackcurrants... the leaves smell very blackcurranty.

Maybe I just have weird tastebuds... or weird soil round here! 

11/07/2013 at 18:55

I never eat blackcurrents raw, always cooked as I don't like the taste either.  However, it is transformed into the blackcurrent taste we know and love once cooked and they make fantastic jam (strain during making that to make blackcurrent jelly - niece won't eat anything with 'bits' in) which can be used in all sorts of other sweet dishes and drinks.  Same with gooseberries - I might eat a few very ripe ones with ice cream etc, but 95% get cooked or made into wine.

11/07/2013 at 19:18

Never even considered eating blackcurramts raw.  They do taste like that Green fingered fimch...it's normal.  Cook them.....stew them, put in a pie, etc and add clotted cream and they are delicious.  Gooseberries however..we all love them here sharp and green

11/07/2013 at 19:39

My goosies are a bit too sharp Verdun but I'm growing some red ones this year too so might be a convert if they are a bit sweeter.

11/07/2013 at 22:26

Hiya bob,  goosegogs...sharper the better and apples too.  Did grow quite a variety of gooseberries once.  From memory Winhams Imdustry was,a sweet large red,variety.  

12/07/2013 at 10:08

Red gooseberries? Wow, they sound nice. Might have to try growing some next year in place of the blackcurrants. Will definately try them cooked though... Will hunt for some recipes today 

12/07/2013 at 10:13

I made blackcurrant cordial with mine. With a little more sugar and boiled a little more you can make a syrup which is lovely mixed with Greek yoghurt or poured over vanilla ice cream.

12/07/2013 at 10:47

3 pounds of blackcurrants, 1 pound sugar and a bottle of vodka/gin or white rum, leave to steap until October/November then strain - yummy for christmas

Katie

12/07/2013 at 11:09

Hi Katiejane,

I do that with raspberries and blackberries and sloes, of course.

My gooseberries are big enough to cook with now but later on tthey turn red and can be eaten straight form the bush. I don't know the variety. The blackcurrants will need a few more days to ripen. The cordial sounds lovely. I might try that.

12/07/2013 at 11:47

Woo raspberries are wonderful with white rum, not done balckberries will try that one.

Not made cordial either, might try that, I have pounds of blackcurrants coming this year the bushes have gone mad with a bumper crop.

12/07/2013 at 12:26

Chickeny blackcurrants??  Have they been fed with chicken manure??  Only way I can think that they taste like chicken???

12/07/2013 at 12:36

Liggylaura, I think it's just that blackcurrants are never eaten raw....unusually for a fruit

12/07/2013 at 15:58

I do the steeping in vodka and sugar with raspberries too. Lovely in a Kir. Pour a little into a wine glass and tp up with white wine. Very popular here in France as an aperitif, especially with blackcurrant liquer and blackberry.

15/07/2013 at 10:54

No chicken manure liggy lol. 

I'm liking the recipes and drinks ideas

15/07/2013 at 12:51

In a moment of great personal sacrifice ( I dislike blackcurrants intensely!) I tried one from our bush. You are right, a raw blackcurrant tasted a little chicken! However, when cooked they taste like they should.  Husband likes them stewed with a teaspoon of honey.

16/07/2013 at 19:16

Hooray! Not just me then

1 to 20 of 22 messages