Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

New Fruit and Veg for 2014?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

New for my allotment this year is sweet corn mini pop.  One other allotment holder is trying it too so it will be interesting to see how they develop.  Good for stir frys.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Most of what I am growing is new for me this year, having not done much growing before.

The new thing I am most excited about though is Tumbling Tom tomatoes, red and yellow image The new veg I am most nervous about is Aubergine, been reading how difficult   they can be this week image

I'm also growing chillies, courgettes, French beans, squash and cucumbers that I have never grown before.

Flowers I have never grown before include Morning Glory and Busy Lizzies.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Oky doky Scroggin - but remind me again in Late August/September as I could forget. 

• I've bought a Glen Coe raspberry and a tayberry new last autumn...

I've tied them to canes but now they're on their own...

Wearside, England.
  • I'm trying cucumbers for the 1st time this year. Variety is 'Cucino' from Dobies of Paignton - a small type that is said to grow in profusion (time will tell).   Also Sweet Aperitif tomato (see the entry on the 'how late can you sow tomatoes' thread).   Another  vegetable I'm trying for the 1st time this year is a curly kale called Borecole - 'Darkibor F1' ; again from Dobies of Paignton.   All my brassicas are now in a tented 6mm sq. net enclosure as the dreaded Cabbage Whites decimated them last year.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Trying sweet potatoes from supplied plants in the polytunnel this year.  They are supposed to have been bred for growing in the UK, but I'll not be convinced until they are on the plate!  Also 'yard-long' beans - tried these outside before but the bad summer we had in 2012 resulted in disaster so polytunnel for those too.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I sectioned part of my garden for a fruit garden, blackcurrants, redcurrants, teyberry, raspberry, 2x gooseberry, blueberry(earliblue). Did have blueberry(Hebert) but my Alaskan Malamute destroyed that

Have a Worcester parmesan apple tree and a cherry tree which I planted too close together. Don't want to move and disturb one of them now as they started flowering.

I am buying Goji berry Bush and a honeyberry bush this week and another Herbert blueberry