London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 30 messages
13/06/2014 at 22:39

Ok so unfortunately I was brought up without a garden so we never grew anything as a child, now I'm 30 and I finally have a garden which is big enough (not huge) but I've a nice wee area that my hubby has agreed can be mine for growing veg!

Ive recently started growing and some of my stuff was doing well till the stupid plastic greenhouse I bought blew over. So I've just ordered a 10ft x 6ft polycarbonate one (I have 6 kids)

So the problem I'm having is I really dont have a clue what do I need?

obviously I need staging which I'll have to buy as myself and my husband are not DIYers at all (YET) but whats the best to buy? should I save up and fork out for the expensive metal ones or are the cheap ones just as good?

Do I need a heater and if so what kind?

really looking forward to getting started but my lack of knowledge is really scary

13/06/2014 at 22:51

Jody, if you can deal with 6 kids then you can do anything!  This lot are lovely and I'm sure will give you advise.  You may have to "bump" the tread in the morning though as they'll be off to bed soon 

13/06/2014 at 22:56

Hi Jody don't worry about a heater until winter buy seeds check the sowing times get good peat free compost I would say find a good gardening nursery rather than a garden centre potatoes pumpkins butternut squash runner beans French beans turnips tomatoes cucumbers cauliflowers cabbage kale are all good to plant at this time of year they are usually for sale in plug plant form which means they can go into the ground turnips beetroots will save you a lot of money plus the taste is great if you need any help log on to the retford gardener grow and enjoy 

13/06/2014 at 22:58

Hey supernoodle speak for yourself this guy can rock all night ! 

13/06/2014 at 23:04

Well then, I expect advice for Jody, on the hour, every hour throughout the night...

Well, I'm off to bed. Never was a rocker... 

13/06/2014 at 23:15

OK no probs good nite 

13/06/2014 at 23:22

Just teasing, Kevin. hubbie always complains I'm too sarcastic....Nite nite

13/06/2014 at 23:24

I was given some cheap staging for mine, it's still in fairly good nick now 3 years later. Little rust patches here and that and it's was never as pretty as some I've seen since. But it's functional. The only thing I'd say when you're buying is, press down hard and see if they bow. I've seen ones with cage-style tops you can change around that bow under bigger pots. - Good for small flowers, but not so much for veg.

13/06/2014 at 23:24

Nothing wrong with that enjoy your weekend 

14/06/2014 at 14:09

Hey guys thanks for that, Im really excited and the greenhouse arrives on friday! there is just so much out there.

think I'll just pick up some cheap staging to start and see how i go can always upgrade later on.

14/06/2014 at 17:30

Let us know how things go Jody and good luck 

15/06/2014 at 01:44

lol trying to work out how Im going to set it all up and lock it as my little terrors were out again today tipping over my plants grr

15/06/2014 at 08:22

Living on the Isle of Man I googled 'Greenhouses for a windy situation' when buying my new greenhouse, as sometimes it can blow a bit here!  Ended up buying a greenhouse from .... are you allowed to mention trade names?...... and I have to say it is incredible, as is their staging.   I have had it for five years now and I can't fault it.  If someone tells me its OK to mention names I will tell you, if not, look for the photo of a greenhouse with four strapping men sitting on the roof of their greenhouse and believe me, it is not an advertising gimmick, it could really happen!

KEF
15/06/2014 at 08:59

Jody enjoy your new GH

How about getting a fruit cage with a lock on it, the kiddies can go in that

15/06/2014 at 15:49

Kef nice 1a cage is the best place to put all the kids and make them listen to one direction

16/06/2014 at 00:10

Ah yes much better idea lock away the kids and leave the greenhouse be lmao

16/06/2014 at 00:16

Great minds think a like I know that its not politically correct to dislike kids....but I don't so there!!!! The little horrors 

16/06/2014 at 00:30

haha youd hate mine then

16/06/2014 at 00:38

Well no offence Jody it's the way I am its the crying whining moaning screaming that gets me I want to say shut that brat up !its twisting my melon 

16/06/2014 at 11:27

haha well they are destroying mine haha!!

No offence taken my 3 year old could scream for ireland!!

1 to 20 of 30 messages