London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
12 messages
04/07/2014 at 20:42

I grown some Asparagus peas in a section of my raised beds, but i really don't like them So thinking of pulling them up and putting something else in.

So my question to the Gardeners world peeps is , what can i put in there at this late stage to harvest say Sept time?

I  already grow all the salad crops and peppers/chillies and beans.

Thanks gang

04/07/2014 at 20:50
Hi! Oriental veg are fab, perfect for this time of year, often given away on the gardening mags. What about winter crops, i woul have sown kale, redbor and nero di toscana today, had it not been chuckin it down!
05/07/2014 at 07:15

Pak choi will give you a quick crop (watch out for slug raids!), and Swiss chard will be fine sown now and give you a crop well into the winter, then some more fresh growth in the spring. You could also sow some Little gem lettuce, carrots and beetroot 

05/07/2014 at 10:45

On gw last night Monty said to sow courgettes and sweet corn. If the summer stays nice you should be able to harvest them then. 

05/07/2014 at 15:54
It's not too late for carrots, I may put a late crop in when the shallots come up. Beetroot could also be planted now.
07/07/2014 at 14:16

Is it alright to put onion sets in now,and will they grow before winter gets going.

KEF
07/07/2014 at 14:30

How about ordinary peas ? I think it's too late for onion sets but don't take my word for it.

I know you've said you have all your salad stuff but I'd stick shallot sets in and harvest them as spring onions. In my opinion you can't have too many radishes  white icicle are great if you like a bit of buzz.  Also perpetual spinach will grow.

Steve I once grew asparagus peas, and never ago, vile things in my opinion, should be classed as pretty flowers

07/07/2014 at 16:19

If youw sow some dwarf French beans you might get a small crop from them. Salads, rocket,  etc will all be fine.

I agree about the aspargus peas, I found them disappointing even though I like almost all veg. Mine were tough and tasteless and not evev very pretty.

07/07/2014 at 17:07
I've got beetroot in between my sweetcorn and they both seem to be living quite happily together
KEF
08/07/2014 at 08:41

Steve please let us know what you decide to grow

08/07/2014 at 09:02
I can def recomend this kailaan stuff, i put some in the ground 6weeks or so ago, and some in a trough of coir about 4 weeks ago, the stuff in the trough is ready, Dove kindly sent me a link which said it can be planted really close together too which is great if you only have a small space. No idea what it tastes like yet as ive been too lazy to cook! But its had good reviews
08/07/2014 at 09:53

I have just made another raised bed (addicted now) and i am going to grow more sweetcorn, though I might plant something in between as on last episode of gardeners world.

email image
12 messages