London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
6 messages
21/08/2013 at 07:30

Hi everyone

I would like to turn the back of my garden into a veggie plot, approx size is 25ft x 20ft.  The area has always been overgrown with brambles that we periodically cut down and spray.

It is now clear but the ground us absolutely full of large dead roots. I'm not sure whether we would be better to membrane the area and then grow veg in raised planters above ground or if we should try to get the roots out so we can plant into the ground.

All advice welcome!

Thanks

21/08/2013 at 07:36

Get the roots out and try the soil first. Watering pots or troughs takes a lot of time. It's ok if you have no soil, but you have.

21/08/2013 at 08:07

You can always do a combination of both Georgie. I'd agree with fidget and try and get the roots out first and then create some raised beds with timber- they don't have to be high - and then add plenty of well rotted manure/compost etc to get the ground off to a good start before you plant or sow anything. The better the prep the more likely you are to have a good result from your hard work. 

21/08/2013 at 09:14

I'd have a crack at getting the roots out, too. If they're definitely dead, it should make removing them a little easier. And, if they're definitely dead, you can probably leave the deep ones - more than a spade and a half deep - in situ. I've got old dead roots under most of my beds.

21/08/2013 at 13:43

Thanks everyone, I'll set about it with the shovel! 

21/08/2013 at 14:59
email image
6 messages