Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

no apples!

Hi guys, u were so helpfull last time ive got another query for u. i have an old apple tree i inherited 4 years ago, we have had bumper crops every year. we had blossom this year but have no apples! it needs pruning but dont think this is the problem. do you think its having a rest? look forward to your views, jo

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

It's more likely that the odd weather has affected it - there seem to be a few people reporting the same problem.

The other possibility is, have you, or a neighbour, cut down its pollinator?

• KIMBKIMB Posts: 3

We have the same problem, every year we get a hugh crop of lovely cooking apples but so far this year we can't see one apple coming.  Why?

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    KIMB wrote (see)

We have the same problem, every year we get a hugh crop of lovely cooking apples but so far this year we can't see one apple coming.  Why?

We had some unusually late frosts in May this year- mostly the Midlands northward -just around apple blossom time-here in the South we escaped and have apples -so it is probably down to frost damage.

Where are you situated?

• KIMBKIMB Posts: 3

Norfolk, approx 8 miles inland from Cromer.

Then it was probably the frost- hopefully will be ok next year -it could be just one of those years I'm afraid-nothing can be done

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

I'm in the south east and our apple tree is fruitless too, I guess the long spell of cold and wet plus a lack of pollinators just after blossoming is to blame.

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

My parents apple tree is also fruitless this year after a bumper crop last year, and their neighbour's also. They are wondering if it was a lack of bees.

We are Kent by the way. No late frosts for us

• nadiamaznadiamaz Posts: 35

In Lancs, my apple trees "swim" pretty well. No late frost affected my garden but lots of rain. I see also that bees don't seem to be bothered by the rain. After a first "fear" (thanks for your support and advice to all!), I am happy to report that Nature is great and has an amazing selfhealing power: in addition to the rain, we had gusty winds last week that lasted a few days and still all the fruitlets are proudly on their branches, and the branches retook their original shape after visible distorsion (wind60mph). Funny enough, it is the first year that my Cox (after 4 fruitless years) is bearing lots of fruit, same for my 3 years old Braeburn, Russet and Spurs. I cross fingers for these healthy dispositions to last until fruits are ripe!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Almost certainly lack of bees when they were in blossom is my opinion.  I hand-pollinated the last few flowers on my family apple trees when I realised I hadn't seen a single bee and guess what?  Yes, they are the only spurs which set fruit!  I'm now looking at getting less than ten apples in total this year.  And exactly five plums from my early variety 'Lizzie', which produced hundreds last year! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

Just found this

http://www.freshplaza.com/news_detail.asp?id=97539

so it is a bit of everything