London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
21 to 25 of 25 messages
04/07/2014 at 23:41
There may be something in the colour theory as I have a row of red and white St George runners with nary a bean on them and another row of pale pink/cream borlotti beans which are just dripping with baby beans. Having said that, I haven't spotted a single bee on any of them so quite what the borlottis are doing to achieve this I don't know.
07/07/2014 at 08:26
Good news - this morning I spotted my first teeny weeny pod! Thank you all for your advice
nin
10/07/2014 at 17:14

I have heard that white flowering beans work better for pollination, always wondered if thats true why we tend to grow red flowering beans ?

There is a runner that has a two toned flower red and white maybe its the one to grow.

If it helps I am not growing runners this year but last year had so many bees that the weight of bees on the flowers they were pulling the flowers off, its the other end of the spectrum.

10/07/2014 at 18:46
Winniecat wrote (see)
Good news - this morning I spotted my first teeny weeny pod! Thank you all for your advice

Great news - that'll be the start of the bean avalanche - you soon won't know what to do with them all!

10/07/2014 at 20:02
No problem at all Bob. Can never have too many beans!
email image
21 to 25 of 25 messages