Start a new thread

1 to 3 of 3 replies

LorraineP

Hi All

This year is my first venture into veg growing and thought onions would be fairly straight forward for a novice. They are a bag of Red Baron from a discount shop.   I started them off in pots but when planting out have noticed a lot are soft, some with what I think is mildew and 3 had a flower bud, which I broke off.  I have put in the best of the bunch, but to be honest I'm not expecting a lot from them.   Am I wasting my time with them?  Would I be better sowing seeds next time? Some advice would be appreciated.  

Thanks.   

fidgetbones

Sets can usually be planted straight into the ground in March. The sets should be firm when you give a gentle squeeze. Any soft ones may already be rotting.

I find I do better with seed, but they have to be started in a greenhouse around Christmas time.   For  red ones I use Red Mammoth from Robinsons. Kelsae and White mammoth improved produce big onions. Bedfordshire champion produce smaller onions, but are good keepers. I have just used the last of them from last year, still firm and not sprouting.

Also I noticed that one or two of the seed firms  had onion plants for sale. these will have been grown from seed this year.  I believe Robinsons do plants for sale as well. Its too late for this year though.

LorraineP

Thanks Fidgetbones, I'm thinking of ditching all the onions I have as RHS website advises disposing of any with fungus.  Not all the ones I have are affected, but its probs only a matter of time.  They're poor specimens.     I know I was late getting started with them, too much enthusiasm not enough thought.