5 messages
06/01/2014 at 10:34
hi there every year now i have tried to grow onions from sets but shortly after planting say a month or two i check them and they have gone rather soft is this normal?part of the growing process maybe? but as soon as they seem soft i have been pulling and disposing of them, but now feel i should have left them to see what happened.. can anyone please advise me if this is normal etc.. as i would love to grow some onions this year properly thank you for any advice
06/01/2014 at 13:12
also whats the best way to start early onion sets it says december/january so do i plant in open soil or start them in large module trays?
06/01/2014 at 14:07

hi there if you have had a water log in and too much rain water has been flowing in to your onion area then the onion will be soft but you shouldn't worry because when they do come out then they will be some which are soft and some which are hard  

06/01/2014 at 14:14

Hi Darren

I always start my onion sets in deep plug trays in the greenhouse in mid march and have always had a good rooting and growth before planting about a month later depending on the weather. I used to grow Sturon but changed to Rumba a couple of years ago and have had excellent results.

06/01/2014 at 14:15

The bulb  or set will soften as it is growing and producing new leaves.  So long as the bulb  is not standing in water they will be all right so long as they are in a sunny area with well drained, humus rich soil.

Onion sets can be started in modules in February in a cold frame, and then planted in final position once the weather improves, in March or April.

email image
5 messages