London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 14°C
21 to 25 of 25 messages
29/04/2014 at 21:49
Get them in as soon as possible...
30/04/2014 at 09:54

I have only just cleared a patch for the King Edwards, so they will go in today!!

30/04/2014 at 14:21

I only planted my second batch of potatoes this weekend. My early batch are growing like plants possessed! I'm planting in bags (garden isn't ready for potatoes yet).

My onions are growing really well - I put a few in pots last autumn (as I was moving house) and these look much smaller than the ones growing directly in the ground even though there was a four month gap  between them.

Can I ask - how many times do people cover their potatoes up? I'm on my third covering (a couple of inches each time) as I covered them up again yesterday to ensure they're protected from the impending frosts. Sorry if I've asked this before!

12/05/2014 at 21:29

Potatoes coming through now, thanks for everyone's encouragement.

So now I have another question - how much of the plant do you cover up when you "earth up?"  Just the bottom of the stem or most of the leaves too with just a bit poking out.  We've been looking on the internet but there's a lot of conflicting or vague advice out there.

BTW the pictures look fantastic Deano, once again I am in awe

12/05/2014 at 21:38

i would cover the lot . threat of frost should be over by the time they come through again

email image
21 to 25 of 25 messages