Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Onions and potatoes

Hello everyone, I hope you're all well.

Could anyone answer my question?  We planted out chitted potatoes and onion sets around 2 weeks ago, but there's no sign of growth yet.  How long do we have to wait?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Sorry but, until they come up!

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Anything from two to four weeks in my experience. Depends how deep you planted and the position. Don't be tempted to over water or they will rot. the spuds will show signs of quite dark leaves, easily missed on soil. Onions can start off slowly but often rocket once they get going.  Good luck! Hope you enjoy the wait!

• Thank you Tootles. I don't mind waiting, it's part of what makes gardening so exciting, but it is useful to have a rough idea so I don't sit there for weeks only to find we did it all wrong. 

I'll post some pictures when they start growing.

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

We planted 'Rocket' first earlies, and that was at the beginning of March.  We noticed leaves above ground about three days ago, and they are meant to 'rocket' skywards.  So to be fair, it can take a while.  Play a hose over them from time to time if it gets dry, as it has been over the last few days.

• Thank you Busy Bee, all advice is appreciated.

• No expertNo expert Posts: 415

Don't panic Daisy it could be three weeks to a month for potatoes to show above ground. It depends on the soil temperature and as we have some cold and frosty nights the temp might not be too high.

Busy Bee don't forget to cover the young shoots from frost if it's forecast. I have to cover up every night this week.

The onion sets are very shallow rooting and can dryout in a fine spell like of late. Watered mine to-day. The bed was parched.

• Planted my onions a fair few weeks back! image Romping away lovely! image

Potatoes in bag's! New to me last year,  brilliant results! but decided that they take up to much open ground, would do the same this year! image

Need to find a little room for the "Fruit Tree's" to do the last 5image

Next week off! Looking forward! image

• Oh! n the "Back Up" stock! Sat in the poly! Have really done well! 

Now starting to get "Yellowing Tips" need to go out ASAP! 

Don't ya just love spring! image

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Hi, how are your tattis doing? 

hope you've got signs of life daisyheadcass. 

Here are mine - looking forward to mash already!

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

I've been tipping the soil over to earth up - trouble is they just keep on coming.  Must make sure they are all covered before the end of this week just in case the forecasts are right about the frost.  Suspect whole tatty patch will look like the molehill from hell soon though.image