19 messages
13/02/2014 at 16:56

Hi all, hoping for some advice.  I have planted 100 onion sets in modules in the green house and they have just started showing green shoots.  

At some point in the spring I'll need to transfer them to the veg patch but do I pull just the onion out and transplant or see if I can gently remove the whole 'module' with soil and onion before transplanting?

Also, do I need to wait until the soil is warm or can they go out any time? 

Thanks!

13/02/2014 at 18:26

I would remove the whole module. How wet is your garden? Wouldn't want them to rot. I don't plant my onion sets until the end of March, or even early April, straight into the ground in the veggie garden, you will have onions earlier than me, but mine ripen when the weather is warm in summer and they store very well. Didn't need to buy any onions last year.

13/02/2014 at 18:44

I do this every year with great success.  By the time it comes to plant them, the whole module will be filled with roots so there is no decision to be made.

Lyn
13/02/2014 at 19:15

I have grown mine in 5inch deep paper home made pots, as it is newspaper, the whole lot will be planted out, no root disturbance.

13/02/2014 at 20:06

Busy Lizzie, my garden in sodden at the moment, no chance of them going out for a while!

Bob, thanks for words of advice, now you mention it it seems obvious but has put my mind at rest.

Good idea Lyn, you must have more patience than me, I'm not sure I could make ten paper pots let alone 100!

13/02/2014 at 20:11

Tonks,

Yes whole module is planted out.....push base of module wirh finger and gently squeaze ar same time.

Usually mine go straight out Imto the ground but under polythene.......warmer and effective against birds.

However, if it remains wet like this I will put in seed trays for a couple of weeks 

Lyn
14/02/2014 at 10:04
Tonks wrote (see)

Busy Lizzie, my garden in sodden at the moment, no chance of them going out for a while!

Good idea Lyn, you must have more patience than me, I'm not sure I could make ten paper pots let alone 100!

I have one of those gadgets calles a Potter, very quick and easy, made a hundred in no time.

14/02/2014 at 10:12

modules for me too. As others have said, once they're a decent size, they come out nice and easily ready to go in the ground,and the birds tend not to pull them out so easily, but they do try. 

15/02/2014 at 22:30

Have used the module system for a couple of years and found it gives great results. Will wait till we have some sign of spring before I set them going though as at the moment I have no chance of getting on the allotment as its so wet.

From planting in the modules in the unheated poly they only take a few weeks before they're ready to plant out. Probably start mine about early March.

What varieties to people favour, I grow Centurion, gives good yields and stores well. No luck with red onions, I tried Red Baron but very mixed results.

15/02/2014 at 22:45

Setton for whites and red baron for reds, scroggin.  Both do well here but the reds do seem a bit slower to get going - I always start more than I need so the weakest don't make it to the beds.

15/02/2014 at 22:48

Just my practice over the years.  Learned from my dad.  Plant veg in the ground.  Even sowing seed.  Sow into the open ground, then thin out.

Yes I know.  Pop down to the garden center or B&Q.  If it grows. You can now get it in a pot or tray.  OOOps another theme I've messed up.   Sorry!!!!

15/02/2014 at 22:54

That's the ideal, Mike.  However, some soils don't warm up fast enough to give a long enough growing season for some crops, so the choice is to either give nature a helping hand or not grow certain crops and I would miss the onions!

15/02/2014 at 23:38

Mike, I dont buy any veg plants but I do grow my sets in modules as it seems to give them a head start and they dont get pulled up by the blackbirds. I always grow cabbages, beans,  courgettes in pots too. For me I get better results that way, I direct sow root crops such as carrot,parsnip and beetroot but pretty much everything else is started in trays or pots.

18/02/2014 at 21:10

Well, good news, I have 11 green shoots now (from the 90 planted in modules).  They are split 50/50 between the Sturon and Red Baron which I wasn't expecting.

05/03/2014 at 17:58

Has anyone tried the same system for shallots? Was hoping to get them in the ground direct but its still a bit "swampy" for planting or sowing of any kind.

05/03/2014 at 18:35

It should work fine scroggin.  I've not grown them for a few years but pretty sure I also started them in modules last time.

05/03/2014 at 20:00

I've got shallots in 4'pots at present, not tried them in pots before but they've got several inches growth on them and look healthy. Planned to plant out at the end of March.

05/03/2014 at 20:43

Thanks Bob, Zoomer, modules it will be.

05/03/2014 at 20:50

I have onions and shallots in modules, They are all growing well on the patio and will go in the allotment once it has dried out enough to dig it.lol lol

email image
19 messages