London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
10 messages
20/10/2013 at 07:08
At the allotment that I work on; we are looking to plant some over wintered garlic. Can anyone recommend the best type to go for? Thanks
20/10/2013 at 07:20

I grow Provence Wight planted in early October, generally have good quite large bulbs and stores well. It is false policy to grow supermarket garlic as much of it comes from China and is not really suitable for our British climate and only produces very small bulbs I find. So buy good stock from a reputable supplier.

21/10/2013 at 18:26

Hi Old timer 2! 

Another very keen grower here! 

Did "Bella Italiano" this year! A very reliable Hardneck variety! As taste go's Superb! 

And can't for the life in me remember what the soft neck variety was! 

But an exellent crop from both! 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32800.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

This year I have opted for the old fave "Provence White" (softneck)

and a relatively new kid on the block "Carcassone" (hardneck) in trials, as been voted arguably, the best tasting garlic! 

All the very best with it whatever you choose! 

21/10/2013 at 18:30

Opp's! Aimed at Garden Mad Han! 

It's been a long day! 

21/10/2013 at 18:30

Forgive the ignorance, what is the difference between soft neck and hard neck garlic?

21/10/2013 at 18:33

I grew Lautrec this year with great success.

Good strong flavour and has produced good sized bulbs, even though I plantd it a little late

21/10/2013 at 18:46

There are two main types of cultivated garlic 4th Panda! 

Softneck, which is easy to grow, has plenty of cloves, and stores well!

Hardneck, which produces fewer but larger cloves, with a thinner skin! 

Hardneck varieties tend to naturally produce an edible flower called a "Scape" which is delicious, stirfried or roasted! 

21/10/2013 at 18:54

Thanks Deano  Love Garlic, maybe I should give it a go - could probably get it past OH's eyes (he doesn't like home grown produce. Well it takes all sorts!)

21/10/2013 at 19:23

Should edit that last post!  With it being thinner skinned, doesn't store as well! 

4th! Your joking! 

Nothing better than home grown! 

21/10/2013 at 19:35

I agree with you Deano, but if it doesn't come with a bar code he isn't interested  He refused the strawberries (which was fine by me - more for me!) and the tomatoes (not so great as I don't like them. Luckily it was only one plant).

Sorry Garden Mad Han, have hijacked this a bit 

email image
10 messages