Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Overwintered runner bans

figratfigrat Posts: 1,619

As I was claering the space from last year's runner beans, I found that the roots had survived the winter and are putting up new shoots. 

As you can see, not very spectacular, but it's there! I'm reluctant to dig it up, and have decided to leave it, plant this year's as planned, and see what happens, but I was wondering if anyone else has experience of this? I'm on the southern edge of Dartmoor if that's of any interest. I've already mentioned this on the 'May in your garden thread', apologies for reposting but thought I might get a wider audience if I posted as a new topic.

• donutsmrsdonutsmrs Posts: 487

I always leave my runner bean roots in the ground but I have never experienced this. I always cut them off well below soil level. I wouldn't dig it up either just to see what happens, you never know you may get the most fantastic beans you have ever had.image

• AuntiemandAuntiemand Posts: 51

I overwintered some in my shed, in the same way I did my dahlia tubers.   Was clearing the shed today and found then having completely forgotten about them.   They have completely white shoots, but shoots nonetheless.

I read last year thy could be saved but the crop wasn't great.  So, I shall plant them once they've greened up and compare to my properly grown ones.   

Figrat, are you going to let them carry on?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Hi Figrat,

I had this happen just once, a few years ago.  About 5 or 6 runner roots survived the winter and came up again the next year.  They are perennial in their native habitat, but the cold, wet and pests usually get to them in our climate.  It'll be interesting to see how it does compared to ones sown this year!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    I'm interested to see what happens too! Shall I keep posting updates?
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Please!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Yes please, really want to hear how the beans get on.

In my trough in which I grew pumpkins last year, a very pretty deep pink petunia arrived, presumably from old compost.  I left it be, it has survived the winter, and is now coming into flower again.  I suspect that many of our annual plants could survive if we had the weather for  it, or kept them under cover - but usually we don't do this, nor have the room to do so.  Lovely when it happens naturally. 

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,841

One of their nicknames in the US is "Seven Year Beans". They are perennial and should crop well again. They were also grown there more for their flowers than their beans!

I intend to leave plenty of pods to fully mature as the beans are very useful in stews etc. long after you get bored with the pods. I simply freeze the beans while they are still plump (similar to harvesting broad beans) and make sure they are cooked thoroughly before eating.

@ Auntiemand - yes I'm going to let them carry on. As you can see from the picture, there are at least 4 shoots coming off the root, rather than the single stem I have with this year's batch. I always sow and grow too many beans anyway, so I may be completely overwhelmed this season!

@Steephill - I boiled up some beans late last year which had dried in their pods. Variety 'Moonlight', they were delicious, very similar to butter beans but not quite as floury in texture.

They seem do be doing extremely well! Found another just to the left which has just poked up its first shoot.

• I've noticed the same thing - about 5 shoots coming up.  Went to dig them up to transplant to my runner bean wigwam and discovered roots over 1 inch across.  Dug them up anyway and they seem to have survived.  I live to the east of Exeter - perhaps this is a Devon phenomenon.