London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
11 messages
07/06/2013 at 08:37

Hi all

My Pak Choi has flowered little yellow flowers. Ive got around 8 of them, and over half of them have done this. Im sure they were not like that 2 days ago, but I guess thats all it needs

They were planted in a small greenhouse (seed tray) in late March and then potted about 6 weeks ago where theyve shot up

Question, are they now not edible? And could I harvest the seeds from them for next season?

If they are edible, should I get them out now? They are nowhere near as bushy as the supermarket ones, which I kinda was expecting!

Additional question, can I still sow Pak Choi in seed trays at this time of year, or is it too late?

Thanks in advance!

07/06/2013 at 09:23

I grow green revolution, pak choi. Its sown in March, & already harvested , I sow again late july. This early & late planting avoids the the bolting. Pak choi doesnt like warm weather and bolts

I always start in deep seed trays.

07/06/2013 at 10:28

I gave up on pak choi for this very reason. For weeks and weeks it was too small to cut and then wham! - bolted.

07/06/2013 at 11:40

Hi Paul,

I am pretty certain that Pak Choi is one of those crops that needs to be sown where it is to grow. Transplanting makes it very prone to bolting. 

07/06/2013 at 16:39

Bolted Pak Choi are perfectly edible. If you snap off the flowering shoots you will get a flush of secondary shoots.

07/06/2013 at 21:20

Don't bother planting the seeds from your plants, you will probably get very inferior plants.

07/06/2013 at 21:28

The flowering pak choi is lovely in a stir fry 

10/06/2013 at 09:07

I always use seed in plant cells, 2 seeds to each cell. Grow them on into seedlings, then plant out, usually the weaker of the two grows on as well if I have space. I sow a tray about every 3 weeks, never had a problem with bolting, but then my raised beds do seem to be very good at hanging on to moisture. (Prob the clay soil it's mixed with.) If yours have bolted you can basically eat the plant still, just might be a little tougher. If you aren't happy with this, just sow some more, they don't take long to grow from seed anyways.

10/06/2013 at 09:43

Thanks for all the advice

I harvested the lot, and yesterday used two of them in a stir fry. They were still pretty good, on par with supermarket bought Pak Choi anyway.

Ive also sown some more in place, I think I may have to sow them every 4-6 weeks for a constant supply!

10/06/2013 at 12:29

Mine have done the same, this hot last week has done it.. which is why we are having tai green  curry with pak choi for dinner tonight

It grows so fast it's not a big deal just sow some more. I view them a bit like raddishes as catch crops as they germinate easily and grow quickly.

11/06/2013 at 10:22

And tasty it was too...

email image
11 messages