London (change)
Today 20°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
6 messages
29/07/2013 at 18:02

One of my courgette plants is producing a prolific number of courgettes but either they are withering at the end or they are very pale. What's going on with them? 

29/07/2013 at 19:10

The female flowers have not been fertilized.  It's that simple.  Have patience or put some of the male pollen in female flowers.  Gently.

29/07/2013 at 22:04

my early courgettes often go tired at the end but later ones make up for it.

30/07/2013 at 22:54

I have the odd one or two that do that - and it is lack of fertilisation that is the cause.  It's not a problem so far as I am concerned at the moment.  I have come to the conclusion that the collective noun for courgettes is an embarrassment!  They are fruiting faster than I can pick them (or give them away!!!)

30/07/2013 at 23:20

My courgettes start off like that because the flowers aren't being polinated but if you cut the droopy fruit off I find the next one's grow and mature better. I've green one's currently doing really well after cutting off the first 2 or 3 droopy courgettes. The yellow one's are a lot slower but picked the first proper yellow one this evening.  

31/07/2013 at 18:54

Poor fertilization is fairly common on courgettes, try misting the flowers with a small amount of sugar + water to attract pollinators, it always used to be done on beans and I don’t see why it wouldn’t work on courgettes.

Another thing that may cause it (but probably not in this case) is the flowers can sometimes get waterlogged, just punching a hole in the lower petal solves this issue.

The Bearded One

email image
6 messages