Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

Lottolearn

One of my courgette plants is producing a prolific number of courgettes but either they are withering at the end or they are very pale. What's going on with them? 

Welshonion

The female flowers have not been fertilized.  It's that simple.  Have patience or put some of the male pollen in female flowers.  Gently.

nutcutlet

my early courgettes often go tired at the end but later ones make up for it.

Shrinking Violet

I have the odd one or two that do that - and it is lack of fertilisation that is the cause.  It's not a problem so far as I am concerned at the moment.  I have come to the conclusion that the collective noun for courgettes is an embarrassment!  They are fruiting faster than I can pick them (or give them away!!!)

My courgettes start off like that because the flowers aren't being polinated but if you cut the droopy fruit off I find the next one's grow and mature better. I've green one's currently doing really well after cutting off the first 2 or 3 droopy courgettes. The yellow one's are a lot slower but picked the first proper yellow one this evening.  

Advertisement

Poor fertilization is fairly common on courgettes, try misting the flowers with a small amount of sugar + water to attract pollinators, it always used to be done on beans and I don’t see why it wouldn’t work on courgettes.

Another thing that may cause it (but probably not in this case) is the flowers can sometimes get waterlogged, just punching a hole in the lower petal solves this issue.

The Bearded One