London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
6 messages
05/08/2013 at 16:09

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me if the fruits on  my Passionflower are edible ??

. It is a Passiflora cearulea and has flowered continuously for several months now and is covered in green smooth oval fruits....it seems a shame not to do something with them but do not wish to poison myself !!

05/08/2013 at 16:11

Yes they are edible, but caerulea don't taste as good as the ones in the supermarkets.

05/08/2013 at 16:21

Yes, as FB says, edible but not necessarily  tasty.  However, some people love experimenting http://erinskitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2006/07/going-local-passion-flower-fruit.html 

By the way, they turn a gorgeous orange when they're ripe, and look wonderful on the vine - don't forget to take a photograph of them so that when you're up to your knees in snow and rain next winter you can remember this glorious summer 

06/08/2013 at 17:45
hi my passionflower Passiflora edulas i think was always a great fruiter when ripe they were orange and tasted great straight off the plant and the plant can grow huge and take over walls ,fences trees im growing 3 again here
Alan
13/08/2013 at 11:14

If you want bees in your garden grow the passion flower Caerulea. They go barmy,even trying to enter the flowers before they have actually opened... Grown in a very large pot, fed and watered in a sunny spot will continue growing until late September producing flowers. After wich you can get these lovely orange fruits...Cover with an old jumper in cold districts for winter protection.

13/08/2013 at 11:19
Alan4711 wrote (see)
hi my passionflower Passiflora edulas i think was always a great fruiter when ripe they were orange and tasted great straight off the plant and the plant can grow huge and take over walls ,fences trees im growing 3 again here
Alan

They survive for you there Alan? Would love to grow edulas just didn't think it was hardy enough.

email image
6 messages