London (change)
Today 17°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
4 messages
15/11/2013 at 21:58

I have some conference pears id like to take seeds from except there dont appear to be any seeds in them? if i remember correctly the seeds are similar to apple seeds? do all conference pears have seeds?

before i go crazy can anyone advise me?

cheers

15/11/2013 at 22:14

there will have been a lot of hybridisation and choosing of the biggest fruit and smallest seeds in the history of conference pear development. I find some seeds in them but they're skinny little things, not likely to be viable.

If you did get a good seed you could grow a pear tree but not a Conference pear, they would have to be grafted (or some other vegetative propagation method).

This goes for all named varieties of fruit trees, 

Fruit producers want plump fruits not big seeds in their produce, as in seedless grapes and oranges

15/11/2013 at 22:38

cheers nutcutlet. think i'll leave it .   cheers

17/11/2013 at 17:47

Hi kev van,

Yes, it isn't worth the trouble as a general rule growing fruit from seed. If you want to go down the diy route though grafting is really no where near has hard as people make out. I get almost 100% takes with apples and, so far, 100% take budding Sorbus. I haven't grafted any pear but it isn't so different. You can get a pear root stock (quince A for example) and some scion from wherever you can, put the two together an hey presto. You can find loads of good videos on youtube showing you exactly how to do it. 

email image
4 messages