London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
27/03/2014 at 16:08

i planted some peas a few weeks ago in seed trays in my greenhouse.they are about a inch big now.i was wondering should i pot them on to bigger pots or plant them straight outside  

27/03/2014 at 16:39

As long as your ground is not too wet (and then you could make a long mound instead of waiting, so that they are raised) Yes, plant them out and sow any others directly outside from now onwards.

27/03/2014 at 16:46

They might need a spell of hardening off first, leave them outside during the day and bring in at night if we have frosts forecast. After a week they should be fine.

27/03/2014 at 17:38

Agreed.  I sowed my first (double) row outside last week and am expecting (well, hoping, mice and birds allowing) to see them a couple of inches high when I get back next week,

I'd keep sowing them every couple of weeks so you have a continuous supply through the summer.  Nothing compares to the first taste of fresh peas in early summer   As John Seymour says, you will never have enough peas!

27/03/2014 at 17:39

And one of the show-off-TV chefs did a three-pea soup a year or two back, using the seeds, pods and young shoots.  Probably yummy, if you have enough!

27/03/2014 at 17:55

thanks for that this is my first year of growing anything so fingers crossed that i get something right lol

27/03/2014 at 18:04

Sure you will - but don't woory if everything's not perfect!

27/03/2014 at 18:05

(oops...like my typing)

27/03/2014 at 18:06

squidgy, how far north are you? I understand that new members are cautious about where they live, but it would help all of us if we at least knew which County you are in, as the weather/climate is so important when giving advice

I am in the Fens, West Norfolk; my peas...well some were planted last Autumn - the packet said they could be Autumn planted, with protection, so placed this light weight cold frame over them. So they grew and some of them got eaten by something with tiny teeth. Planted some more in with the previous lot and they seem to be coming up. Removed cold frame as it was needed elsewhere, and put plastic covered wire over the pea seedlings to protect them from pigeons and lots of short canes for the plants to climb up.

KEF
27/03/2014 at 18:25

In S.Yorks  mine are just germinating in a cold GH will be at least 3 wks before I harden and then plant outside.

27/03/2014 at 18:32

i live in Preston Lancashire and will be planting in raised beds

28/03/2014 at 10:32

I always seem to lose the Autumn peas to mice and voles. Cats to keen on staying indoors in Winter! So have given that up. Now start when sun warms my back in early April or this year earlier this week as such a mild Winter. Boots the Bengal (Cat) catching 6-8 voles a week and 2-3 mice a day at the moment. So everything is coming out of hibernation I think.

28/03/2014 at 23:10

I sowed my pea seeds yesterday indoors. As soon as they get 10cm tall they will go outside (after a week of hardenning off). I trust nothing nowadays to the munching, crunching teeth of slugs.

28/03/2014 at 23:22

I always start my peas off by soaking them overnight and sowing them in small pots of seed and potting compost. had very bad results in 2023 from direct sowing so never again.

29/03/2014 at 00:26

Mine getting started tomorrow in CF away from those mice, then out as soon as big enough. All in paper pots so not much messing.

No expert, I hope I get better results than you. Don't want to wait till 2023 for my peas!

29/03/2014 at 13:35
I am in the north east but have always sown early peas early April. I sow Meteor or Feltham first but I sprout them first by putting them in a polythene bag of moist potting compost. When I see good roots I plant out into the garden. So far I have
always had good results.
29/03/2014 at 19:50

That should be 2012. Must wear the specs more often. I sowed another dozen peas, Kelvedon Wonder, today. 11 of the last 12 sprouted.

03/04/2014 at 02:23

I can't sow direct cos of mice, so always start in frame. Squidgy, I used to live in Chorley, and would have put mine out by now down there, but it is the drying winds that I try to avoid here.(Ayrshire, Scotland) Harden them of just for a few days and get them out without potting on. Less messing, and peas are very hardy. once mine germinate, they will be chucked out of the CF, then planted up once big enough to withstand the odd slug nibble. But still give slug protection if you are botheresd much by them. A good post is the Sweet Pea one.  David tells time and time again to treat them hard, and peas come into the same category. Get em out and make room for other stuff needing their space. I treat all of my plants as hard as poss from as young as poss, only using heat for germination or cuttings. Once 60-80% have germinated in the propagator, they come out. At first with a cover into GH or conservatory, then the lid comes off, then a few days later they are out but lid back on if frost. Only the toms and peppers get to stay indoors, and some of them go out as soon as poss if they are destined to grow outside.

Having said that, my tender fuchsias never dropped thier leaves in an unheated gh this yr. It has been a very mild winter, and still is mostly mild now. chuck em out! But be ready with a bit of fleece if we should get a proper frost. Normally you would need to harden off for longer, but I'm going to wing it this yr and chuck em straight out into my warmed beds. Sow more now for a continuous supply, and only chuck half out if you are worried. Nowt lost, excepting mice you can sow direct now.

Peas are easy, wait till bean time. They can be fussy! You will need to be a little nicer to them!

Noexpert!

03/04/2014 at 18:37

thanks for all you help i have planted them out and also sown some more outside so lets see how i get on

09/04/2014 at 20:19

Oh I love peas, I got an old pack of hurst greenshaft off my parents last year with about 6 peas left in it, all 6 germinated and I saved a few of the nicer pods for peas this year. Gave them a germination test run in january and all 4 germinated and I had pea tops in my salad that month, YUM.

Planted new seeds out in that plastic dolls house I call a greenhouse last week and they are just starting to push the soil from below. I decided to forgo using loo rolls this year due to the mould issue they caused last year and am using plastic party cups for the peas. Used these for the sweetcorn last year and it did brilliantly.  Currently in Manchester, Lancashire

1 to 20 of 21 messages