7 messages
22/05/2013 at 22:48

There are a few new veg growers me included out there, so I thought I would start a thread to gather some tips on how people save money in their garden/allotment.

I have started a nitrogen feed with nettles pulled from my allotment.

Spoke nice to a cafe owner getting their old coffee grounds for compost and egg shells to deter slugs.

swap seeds with fellow allotment holders

here are a few things I do to start everyone off, whos next ? I will add more as i remember them

22/05/2013 at 23:14

Teabags acidify the soil/plant pots where you need it.

Many years ago I used to visit the local greengrocer after cutting my grass to raid his thrown out cabbage stalks, leaves etc. to add to my mowings to make great compost. Grass on its own is next to useless.

Re-use old potting compost as a mulch, or at the base of a planted up pot, just add a little food.

23/05/2013 at 09:37

Thanks wonderboy that's great. I recently saw seedlings pots being made out of old newspaper which I think I will try this weekend. 

23/05/2013 at 09:41

There is already a thread called Make do and Mend on Problem Solving.

07/07/2013 at 22:28

instead of buying expensive cabbage collars  i cut pieces of cardboard in to squares cut a slit into that and put that round the base of the cabbage plant and ti keeps the weeds down

08/07/2013 at 00:30

Not so much saving money as saving energy...when confronted with an old allotment or any large area you want to plant in that is overgrown, mow, strim then cover with dampened newspaper, cardboard and mowings and leave for a month or so. No weed seeds can reach the covered soil, the annuals weeds will die, the top will rot giving you better soil and all your left with is the weakened perennial weeds! Hardly any digging needed 

nin
08/07/2013 at 17:35

Freecycle , amazing what you can get on  there for free large planks to make raised beds , garden canes well rotted manure and nice and ornate pots had all of these this year for my garden for free. Missed out on five oak barrells planted up with strawberrys but ho hum its deffinatly worth watching . Saved a fortune on petrol going to the tip getting people to take away the junk from my garden on freecycle as well.

email image
7 messages