London (change)
Wed °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
7 messages
22/07/2014 at 11:03
Hey, I have a tomato plant that has about 5 green tomatoes on it. On of the tomatoes is bigger than a grape do I need to pick it or shall I leave it until it's red
22/07/2014 at 11:36

Leave, leave, leave! Wait until it's red. It won't ripen if it's green.

22/07/2014 at 11:47

thought as much, but my partner stuck her noise in and said to pick it, what does she know. 

thanks 

22/07/2014 at 18:35

Once it starts to colour up and go yellow or orange, you can pick it and ripen it indoors if you like, but if it's green, it will probably just stay green.

22/07/2014 at 19:37

When is the right time to pick tomatoes? I've read that you can leave them too long on the vine, but I'm not sure why. Does the flavour deteriorate after they turn red or start rotting or something?

How long after they've turned proper red should you pick them, and should you pull them off the vine or cut the whole truss in one go and leave them connected, like vine tomatoes in the supermarket?

22/07/2014 at 20:42

Gently pluck them off the vine once they have turned red (or orange, yellow), but never green! And never the whole truss!  Unless, of course, they have all turned the required red (or orange, yellow) at the same time.

23/07/2014 at 00:50
They will come away at the first knuckle above the fruit when they are ripe. That is the joy of growing your own - ripe tomatoes.
email image
7 messages