Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pickled Eggs

The user and all related content has been deleted.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Hi hollie.

You need to add the vinegar cold but boil the spices in it first, unless it's spiced vinegar.

I have never put a pickled anything in the fridge,

Don't add garlic. The taste is good but it makes them sticky and the eggs break up when you try and get them out of the jar. It might not if you boil the garlic, I chopped it and added it raw

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Yes, sounds right. People have become bit obsessed with sterilizing and fridges but pickling  preserved things for years before fridges were invented.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

Hello , my Dad use to do pickled eggs , he would just use white vinegar or sometimes ordinary vinegar but the brown does colour the eggs 

he never used spices but why not ! And they where not kept in the Fridge 

you must have your own chickens , best of luckimage

• they used to be stuck on a shelf at the back of the bar when i used to go in pubs no fridges there ! thats why they pickeled them in  vinegar enjoy .

atb Tony

• I had a pickled egg once, I think they must be an acquired taste image I would love to be able to make them though even if I didn't eat them.......I've got chicken envy LOL imageimage

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

I love pickled eggs Aldi/Lidl have them on specical offer sometimes image