London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
4 messages
02/07/2013 at 04:45

Does anyone have any suggestions for conserving radish?

I have never been a great fan of the usual firey radishes, but this year I have grown Mooli which are a lot milder and much larger than the standard french breakfast type.

I just threw some seed in the ground a few weeks ago and now have more carrot sized radishes than I am ever likely to get through. It seems a pity to consign 90% to the compost bin and so was thinking about grating/slicing them and then conserving with balsamic so that I end up with some kind of radish 'sauerkraut', but am not totally convinced it will be worth the effort.

Any ideas?

02/07/2013 at 09:23

Do these help you - they are all good

Do Chua (Mooli and Carrot Pickle)

1 large carrot, peeled and sliced into thick matchsticks 500g mooli (daikno), each no larger than 5cm in diameter, peeled and sliced into thick matchsticks 1 tsp salt 110g sugar 60ml distilled malt vinegar 250ml lukewarm water
Combine the mooli and carrot pieces in a bowl and sprinkle over the salt and 2 tsp of the sugar. Use your hands to toss the vegetables then knead with your fingers for 3 minutes, pressing to extract as much water from the vegetables as possible. The vegetables are ready when there is a large pool of liquid in the base of the bowl and you can bend a piece of the mooli so that the ends touch without breaking. Drain the vegetables in a colander then drain under plenty of cold, running, water. Gently press the vegetables to remove any further excess liquid. Return the vegetables to the bowl and set aside. For the brine, combine the remaining sugar, the vinegar and the water in a bowl. Stir until the sugar has dissolved then pour over the vegetables. The liquid should completely cover the vegetables. Cover and set aside to marinate for at least 1 hour before eating. If you make this in a jar, then they will keep for up to 4 weeks in the refrigerator.

Mooli ka Achar (Radish Pickle)

• Radish -300 gms
  • Crushed fennel  seeds-1.5 tbls
  • Mustard seeds – 3tbls
  • Chilli powder-1.5 tsp
  • Turmeric 1/2 tsp
  • Salt-1.5 tsp
  • Refined oil-1/2 cup
  • Peel and chop radish into medium thick rounds
  • Add salt,  turmeric and mustard. cover and keep aside for 8 hours or over night at room temperature.
  • Next day add chilli powder,fennel seeds and oil.
  • Cover with a muslin cloth and let it mature for at least 4-5 days at room temperature
  • Keep mixing in between start using after 4-5 days (or when it become sour). keep refrigerated
  •  

CHINESE MIXED PICKLES

2 carrots
    1 large Chinese white radish
    1 large cucumber
    1 red pepper and 1 green pepper
    4 sticks celery
    4” piece ginger’
    8 shallots

PICKLING LIQUID

2¼ cups sugar
    2¼ cups white vinegar (distilled malt)
    1 teaspoon salt
    1¼ cups water

Combine all pickling liquid ingredients in a saucepan, stir over a low heat until sugar dissolves; bring to boil. Remove from heat and cool.

Wash all veg. Peel carrots and Chinese radish, cut into thin strips. Cut cucumber lengthwise, remove seeds, cut into strips. Wash and seed peppers, cut into strips. Slice celery diagonally. Peel ginger, slice thinly. Slice shallots diagonally.

Put a large saucepan of water on to boil, bring to fast boil. Add prepared vegetables, then remove from heat immediately. Leave veg in water for two minutes.

Strain veg, spread on absorbent paper over wire rack for several hours to dry.

Pack veg firmly into preserving jars. Pour on cold liquid into jar, making sure vegetables are completely covered. Stand one week before using

02/07/2013 at 09:26

The white mooli radishes (also called Daikon) can get very big. Joy  Larkcom in her oriental veg book describes 12 inch as being small . They can be left to grow in the ground until late Autumn, and then lift and store like carrots.

She also describes using them as soup, in stews as well as in pickles. (grated or sliced)

Wikipedia has some info on Daikon.

02/07/2013 at 11:35

Crikey Katiejane! That really is an answer and a half! All sounds brilliant and much more interesting than radish sauerkraut.  I will definitely give them a go.

Fidgetbones, 12" is small !! I am going to be completely over-run with them! 

Thanks to both of you for replying. Much appreciated.

email image
    4 messages