London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
5 messages
21/09/2012 at 11:58

Hi all, just wondring if any of you guys have a tasty recipe for pickling beetroots as I was given a fair few yesterday (would like to say I'd grown them myself but alas, no). I have done it in the past but the colour leeched from the roots so I guess I did something wrong.

Any advice and tasty tips would be more than welcome.

21/09/2012 at 13:27

Cook leaving some stalk and not cutting root. Won't ''bleed' then. Slide skin off, take off root & stalks Just slice them and put in a jar, vinegar on top to cover. Different vinegars make a change -  try white malt, cyder vinegar, raspberry vinegar. A splash of balsamic vinegar, either when you serve some pickled beetroot, or added to  malt vinegar in the jar when you do it is nice for a change.

Also nice is 'Beetroot in Jelly' a recipe my Mum used over 50 years ago when we had guests - made an 'extra' to put on the table when we had salad:

Slice beetroot into a bowl and cover with blackcurrant jelly, made up as instructions on jelly packet. Put in fridge to set. 

21/09/2012 at 13:33

Hope this helps.

21/09/2012 at 20:12

Thank you russianmama, I'll certainly use your pickle recipe. I skinned the beetroots last time I tried it, that's why they must have lost their colour when I boiled them.

I'm not sure I'm adventurous enough for beetroot and blackcurrant jelly, but if I get given any more I'll try it.

Thanks again

24/09/2012 at 14:15

I know you asked for pickling beetroot recipes but this is great and easy too.  

Beetroot Chutney 

3lbs Beetroot

1lb Sugar

1pt Vinegar

2 Dessert spoons Cornflour

½ Dessert spoon of Gelatine

Wash, peel and grate beetroot.

Put vinegar & sugar in a pan and bring to the boil.

Add beetroot & cook for 5 minutes.

----------------------

Dissolve the gelatine in a little vinegar.

Mix the Cornflour with a little vinegar.

Add them both to the beetroot.

Cook till thickened.

Put into jars.     

email image
5 messages