Start a new thread

is there any special way of planting pineapple tops

Sparklepinksunflower

never had any real success but I was told to wring the top out of the fruit a bit like choking a chicken, place over a glass of water so it starts to form roots and them just pop it in the garden. (This advise comes from my grandma in Queensland - who grows them in her garden I love pineapples as the look so silly growing, just like some one has plonked a pineapple on top of some spikey leaves

Bookertoo

You can grow them as pot plants, the leaves will grow on, but you will not get any fruit unless you go for a very hot hot house, which would make pineapples a very expensive treat!   We grew them in our garden in Zambia, they do indeed look unexpected, not at all what we might have imagined before.   I have a very old gardening book from 1895, which describes growing them, took several people a great deal of work, lots of horse manure, straw,  and an enormous greenhouse, plus several small boys to keep the boiler lit all night! Somehow I don't think we would manage that these days!

thank you both for your advice ,will have a go at trying to grow them

Sparklepinksunflower

I am sure Bob Flowerdew has managed to grow them in his polytunnel using a hot bed.  

Advertisement

Bookertoo

He probably did, but he is really quite something else again, most of us just do not have his time or space - but good luck to anyne who tries it here. 

Miss Becks

I saw this guys website a while back, when I contemplated trying to grow one myself.

Lots of useful info and pictures. Hope it helps. He's in the UK.

Surrey Pineapples