7 messages
31/07/2012 at 15:05

is there any special way of planting pineapple tops

31/07/2012 at 15:38

never had any real success but I was told to wring the top out of the fruit a bit like choking a chicken, place over a glass of water so it starts to form roots and them just pop it in the garden. (This advise comes from my grandma in Queensland - who grows them in her garden I love pineapples as the look so silly growing, just like some one has plonked a pineapple on top of some spikey leaves

31/07/2012 at 16:09

You can grow them as pot plants, the leaves will grow on, but you will not get any fruit unless you go for a very hot hot house, which would make pineapples a very expensive treat!   We grew them in our garden in Zambia, they do indeed look unexpected, not at all what we might have imagined before.   I have a very old gardening book from 1895, which describes growing them, took several people a great deal of work, lots of horse manure, straw,  and an enormous greenhouse, plus several small boys to keep the boiler lit all night! Somehow I don't think we would manage that these days!

31/07/2012 at 16:32

thank you both for your advice ,will have a go at trying to grow them

31/07/2012 at 16:38

I am sure Bob Flowerdew has managed to grow them in his polytunnel using a hot bed.  

31/07/2012 at 17:50

He probably did, but he is really quite something else again, most of us just do not have his time or space - but good luck to anyne who tries it here. 

31/07/2012 at 18:42

I saw this guys website a while back, when I contemplated trying to grow one myself.

Lots of useful info and pictures. Hope it helps. He's in the UK.

Surrey Pineapples

email image
7 messages