London (change)
Wed °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
5 messages
04/09/2013 at 17:32

I'm thinking of clearing a lot of space in my garden (it's a reasonable size) for maybe 6 fruiting trees. What might I consider planting?

I'm on chalk, on the South Coast inland 4 miles (no salt problems) but am fairly shaded by a neighbours tall trees. I would like (another) apple or two (already have crab apples and a cooker), maybe a plum, perhaps pear...and some others.

04/09/2013 at 18:00

If you only have one plum a self fertile victoria.

One pear- a self fertile conference.

Apples you will have more choice  so long as it is in the same pollination group as the ones you have already.

Have a look at Deacons nursery, Godshill, Isle of wight. They have a huge selection of fruit trees.

04/09/2013 at 22:41

I would also recommend Ashridge nursery - we bought our fruit trees from there three years ago (4 apple, 2 plum, 2 pear - all different varieties) and they were really helpful.  Their website is a mine of information on the things you have to consider for pollination groups etc, but all very clearly explained.

Our Victoria plum now has its first bumper crop, and we are looking forward to 3 Conference Pears, 1 Beth pear, and a whole load of Sunset and Blenheim orange apples.  Its SO exciting

Not sure where you are, but also worth trying to get to one of the taster days that a lot of the fruit gardens run (I am in Surrey, so can get to Wisley or West Dean) - then you can really find out what tastes good to you, and take it from there.

04/09/2013 at 22:43

Elderberry - just checked, and you are in Brighton - so would really recommend West Dean Gardens Apple Day at the beginning of October

06/09/2013 at 09:37

What about other traditional fruiting trees? Damsons, or perhaps hazelnuts (ok, that's a nut...)

email image
5 messages