London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
12 messages
21/03/2013 at 12:00

I am in a predicament, I am not sure whether to start my early carrots in a seed tray or wait until the weather has warmed up a bit, last year as the weather was a lot warmer than it is now planted them direct only for them to be attacked by the dreaded carrot fly (another topic that will no doubt is very close to your hearts) (and they were in a raised 1mtr bed 3ft in old money) back to my help question has anyone had success transferring carrot plant from the seed tray to the garden?

21/03/2013 at 12:04

Mine weren't in a seed tray, but in a Morrisons flowers bucket. I transfered them into the ground about a week after they had germinated, and they grew just fine.

21/03/2013 at 12:10

Thank you for that Miss Becks

21/03/2013 at 12:13

My Grandchildren did set carrot seed in trays which I transferred later thinning them out once set, they came OK.
I plant mine straight into some old large pots and have not been bothered by carrot fly.
Your beds are high enough but if you are worried put some sticks in the ground round them and a very fine net or fleece just to raise the height a bit, the fly keeps near the soil I am told, could be an old wives tale of course. You can but try, if I am in doubt I will try just to see what happens.

Frank.

21/03/2013 at 12:13

You're welcome.

21/03/2013 at 12:21

Palaisglide, Funny you should say about using large pots, before I had my allotment I used buckets with compost mixed with sharp sand on the patio with no attacks and a wonderful crop, I think that will be my way forward this season with a fleece barrier or I have been told net curtains, but to be on the safe side I will go back to some buckets or large pots on the patio because there is nothing like a freshly picked carrot.

21/03/2013 at 12:24

Thank you for that Miss Becks

21/03/2013 at 12:26

Palaisglide, Funny you should say about using large pots, before I had my allotment I used buckets with compost mixed with sharp sand on the patio with no attacks and a wonderful crop, I think that will be my way forward this season with a fleece barrier or I have been told net curtains, but to be on the safe side I will go back to some buckets or large pots on the patio because there is nothing like a freshly picked carrot.

21/03/2013 at 14:39

Carrots don't like root disturbance so it can be tricky trnsplanting from a seed tray to the garden. One method is to use a length of plastic guttering, fill with compost, sow seeds, keep in greenhouse or under cover. Then when ready to put outside (after hardening off) make a furrow in the earth and slide the contents of the guttering into the furrow.

21/03/2013 at 15:03

That's how I'm going to do my peas

21/03/2013 at 15:38

Lizzie, you are right about disturbance although using a three inch pot for direct sowing with say half compost half sand and grit then let them grow on instead of pricking out will give a better chance. Pull the odd weakling (thinning in the pot) then I plant the whole pot into my container as you would any plant. Several pots full to a container thin them as you grow them on and I wash and eat the thinnings delicious uncooked.
I did use the guttering method for peas as Rosa says these days I just put them in a four inch pot then plant them into the container from the pot.
Containers?? well as you get on a bit and rusty in the joints containers are easy, they can be moved around, turned every other day to change the light and sunlight plus I put them where my Grandchildren can watch them grow then feast off them straight from the vine or the ground soaking themselves with the hose as they wash carrots. They will pick and enjoy peas beans carrots and salad stuff out doors try getting them to eat those things at meal times, Strawberries are the favourite I sometimes get one myself.

Frank.

21/03/2013 at 19:54
Worth knowing, thanks .
email image
12 messages