London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
11 messages
07/03/2013 at 15:09

I have climbing roses growing through apple trees, and also honeysuckle.

That works, though you need to ensure that the particular climbing plant is not too vigourous for the tree. Clematis ought to work well too.

If attempting to grow low growing plants beneath a tree, then you'd need to bear in mind that the ground beneath a tree is likely to be shaded, and also relatively dry - so that's not such a good idea, IMO.

07/03/2013 at 15:11

I wouldn't for the summer months when the tree needs water-but would grow spring flowering bulbs to come up from now onwards-these take little from the soil and die back by June.

07/03/2013 at 15:14
sotongeoff wrote (see)

... spring flowering bulbs ....

Spring bulbs is a good idea - you could grow daffodils in the grass.

07/03/2013 at 23:27

I have daffodils and crocus under fruit trees.

08/03/2013 at 04:24

bad idea

08/03/2013 at 05:23

Any particular reason Jon?

08/03/2013 at 10:16
Dovefromabove wrote (see)

Any particular reason Jon?

because it starts an arguement, like most trolls, this makes them feel better about their own pathetic lives.

08/03/2013 at 11:28

Hi there,
I have an apple tree which I have just planted with daffodils, chives and tulips. Chives and daffodils help suppress grass and the chives can help against apple scab disease. The flowers will help draw in pollinators. I have also planted comfrey as these have a long taproot which draws up some great nutrients from the soil. There is also red clover, mints, thyme, yarrow, blackcurrant, honeyberry and a dwarf peach. I am trying out the forest layering system, and have found some great info online, as well as tetimonial of how well it works. The biggest mistake seems to be planting too close. Good luck!

10/03/2013 at 15:58

We've got a mature apple tree in the garden and I've currently got snowdrops flowering under it. Soon, in the nearby area there will be Glory of the Snow, followed by bluebells and cowslips.  And that's my lot!

10/03/2013 at 16:35
I love the sight of spring flowering bulbs under apple trees - one of the best gardening combinations. Primroses would be pretty too.
10/03/2013 at 16:40

Under my cordons (Fruit) i have (I hope) nigella and cornflower - well i did last year and also snowdrops and tet a tete - more next year

email image
11 messages