London (change)
Today 12°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 7°C
4 messages
15/09/2013 at 18:17

Hi,

Noticed Monty planting garlic on Friday, as well as some fellow allotmenteers (more experienced than me though!) planting garlic recently. Just browsing a few websites looking at which bulbs to buy so I can order and get mine in the ground asap, and noticed a website selling "Garlic Marco" recommending it's planted in March for harvest that August. Is it just certain varieties that need a cold snap to form cloves, should all garlic be planted about now or can some varieties be planted in spring?

15/09/2013 at 19:16
Hi Sthin,early garlic ieurple wight,and some others can be planted late autumn early winter,just below the soil,6 inches apart with rows 12 inches apart harvest when leaves turn yellow,,i planted last Oct got a very good crop,birds can be a pest pulling them up so if you can cover with fleece thats best , good luck
16/09/2013 at 17:00

Does that go for Autumn onions also, same distances just under the surface?

17/09/2013 at 09:39
Hi Andy Some onion and shallot cultivars are suitable for autumn planting:

These types are less sensitive to cold exposure that induces bolting (flowering)
Aim to plant onions in September and shallots in October
Use the same spacing for spring-planted sets or module grown plants
Autumn planting is not suitable for heavy soils prone to waterlogging as the crop is more likely to succumb to disease RHS
email image
4 messages