London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
12 messages
09/02/2013 at 16:22

I have grown winter brassicas on my veg plot and would like to know if I can plant potatoes, this season, where the brassicas where, or if it will affect the potatoes. Can anyone answer this question please.

09/02/2013 at 16:26
You'll be fine to plant potatoes after any brassica. Problems tend to occur when you repeat plant with varieties from the same family.

As a rough guide you have three groups, brassicas, potatoes and then everything else. It's a good idea to rotate between the three groups to prevent build up of any disease in the soil.
09/02/2013 at 17:15
I like the acronym People Love Bunches Of Roses for crop rotation - Potatoes, Legumes, Brassicas, Onions/Roots, in that order.

But as Leggi says, not growing the same crop repeatedly in the same patch is the key.
09/02/2013 at 17:29

has anyone heard of growing them in hay. I think I will try this , and see how that goes.You dont have to dig! Just put down a layer of newspaper then the potatoes then some compost and layer with hay,  as they grow more hay . til harvest time.

09/02/2013 at 18:38

Potatoes and tomatoes are the same family and can both get blight so don't plant tomatoes where potatoes have just grown. But this wasn't your question!

09/02/2013 at 19:38
debra kazalski wrote (see)

has anyone heard of growing them in hay. I think I will try this , and see how that goes.You dont have to dig! Just put down a layer of newspaper then the potatoes then some compost and layer with hay,  as they grow more hay . til harvest time.

I have heard of this- never tried it -found this

http://voices.yahoo.com/growing-potatoes-hay-bales-7494224.html?cat=32

Be interested to know if it works

09/02/2013 at 22:10

Hi Geoff I will try both in dirt and hay and see what happens. Debra

09/02/2013 at 23:59

hi jon I went on the site you provided.Its very good Ta Debra

10/02/2013 at 16:41
jon cob wrote (see)

debra kazalski growing potatoes in straw or sand is good way to get poor production

I'm confused - the site you recommend states that the straw mulch method produces nearly as good a grop as the traditional 'Hilled rows' method  

10/02/2013 at 16:56
The straw idea in the link does sound encouraging, but I'm wondering how the straw stays in situ if it's blowing a hooly.
10/02/2013 at 17:08

Having grown up on a farm, it wouldn't need to blow very much for the straw to be all over the place 

Potato farmers grow potatoes in the soil - I'm sure that if there were a better/cheaper/more productive way they'd be doing it - especially with the price of agricultural land as high as it is, in the UK anyway.

10/02/2013 at 17:28

last year on gardeners question time a lady asked if potatoes could be grown in straw or hay the answer she got was no, the straw is used as a mulch

derek

email image
12 messages