Start a new thread

I have grown winter brassicas on my veg plot and would like to know if I can plant potatoes, this season, where the brassicas where, or if it will affect the potatoes. Can anyone answer this question please.

Leggi
You'll be fine to plant potatoes after any brassica. Problems tend to occur when you repeat plant with varieties from the same family.

As a rough guide you have three groups, brassicas, potatoes and then everything else. It's a good idea to rotate between the three groups to prevent build up of any disease in the soil.
figrat
I like the acronym People Love Bunches Of Roses for crop rotation - Potatoes, Legumes, Brassicas, Onions/Roots, in that order.

But as Leggi says, not growing the same crop repeatedly in the same patch is the key.

has anyone heard of growing them in hay. I think I will try this , and see how that goes.You dont have to dig! Just put down a layer of newspaper then the potatoes then some compost and layer with hay,  as they grow more hay . til harvest time.

Busy-Lizzie

Potatoes and tomatoes are the same family and can both get blight so don't plant tomatoes where potatoes have just grown. But this wasn't your question!

Advertisement

sotongeoff
debra kazalski wrote (see)

has anyone heard of growing them in hay. I think I will try this , and see how that goes.You dont have to dig! Just put down a layer of newspaper then the potatoes then some compost and layer with hay,  as they grow more hay . til harvest time.

I have heard of this- never tried it -found this

http://voices.yahoo.com/growing-potatoes-hay-bales-7494224.html?cat=32

Be interested to know if it works

Hi Geoff I will try both in dirt and hay and see what happens. Debra

hi jon I went on the site you provided.Its very good Ta Debra

Dovefromabove
jon cob wrote (see)

debra kazalski growing potatoes in straw or sand is good way to get poor production

I'm confused - the site you recommend states that the straw mulch method produces nearly as good a grop as the traditional 'Hilled rows' method  

figrat
The straw idea in the link does sound encouraging, but I'm wondering how the straw stays in situ if it's blowing a hooly.
Dovefromabove

Having grown up on a farm, it wouldn't need to blow very much for the straw to be all over the place 

Potato farmers grow potatoes in the soil - I'm sure that if there were a better/cheaper/more productive way they'd be doing it - especially with the price of agricultural land as high as it is, in the UK anyway.

clogherhead

last year on gardeners question time a lady asked if potatoes could be grown in straw or hay the answer she got was no, the straw is used as a mulch

derek