London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 28°C / 20°C
5 messages
29/07/2013 at 22:33

Hi,

I have a Warwickshire Drooper, and it is supposed to have a straight main trunk and then drooping branches.

It was planted in Spring 2012 as a 1 year maiden. I didn't prune it last summer as the top shoot had already been cut at about 5 foot, but in retrospect I think I should have! We staked it quite low as recommended by a friend.

What is has now is some branches at about 2 foot which are drooping onto the ground, and which I think I need to cut off. And then the main stem is bent over from about 3 foot, and not really supporting the weight of the  top branches (which are shorter than the ones low down).

If I cut the main stem to 4 foot and take off the lower branches, it would basically have no leaves or branches.

I think it is good to prune plum trees in July so would be really grateful for any advice! 

You can see a picture of it here: http://www.anorakgirl.co.uk/img/plumtree.jpg

30/07/2013 at 12:28

Personally, looking at what you have, I would use a longer stake, say around 6-8 ft tall and straighten and tie the leader to this and train your plum tree as a pyramid. It's a good way to grow plums and there are plenty of sites on the internet which can go into great detail about this training technique.

The RHS is a good place to start....

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=339

31/07/2013 at 14:08

Hi, Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get a longer stake! Would you cut the top branches at all?  I think I should prune some of the really low branches as they are drooping on to the floor? (It is a drooping variety). Thanks.

31/07/2013 at 15:25

i have a 2 variety plum tr about 4/5 years old. As yet no blossom ,let alone fruit.Any suggestions or am I being impatient?

31/07/2013 at 18:57

tamsinnwales, yes, cut off the low branches which touch the ground and do it now to avoid silver leaf disease which is more likely if you prune plums in the Winter.  Cut them cleanly almost flush with the trunk, slightly beyond the collar (which is a ring of bark at the base of every branch on a tree.)

email image
5 messages