Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Poorly Toms

Yesterday my (outdoor) tomatoes were fine, collected at least two dozen juicy red ones in. Gave them some Tomorite, secured some stakes, they had gone a bit wild, but were looking well. 

Went to water them tonight and the stems and branches are all black ish with browny bits and leaves all dried up. It has been a hot day, 31 degrees, but surely couldn't have dried out that much.

Have I overfed them, or have they got some horrid disease? All eight plants are affected, however, the tomatoes (so far) look fine. Such a shame, they are loaded with fruit!

• “Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?” —Betsy Cañas Garmon

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Sounds like blight.
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Posts: 4,184

Think you might be right.image

• “Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?” —Betsy Cañas Garmon
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Sounds like blight to me.  image

Take the tomatoes off and if they're not affected and developed enough they might ripen - if not they'll be fine for Green Tomato Chutney. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Were there absolutely no signs of any problems yesterday? If not, the timing - literally overnight - suggests factors other than blight. Even the most virulent form - Late Blight - takes longer than overnight to do the damage described.

Any chance of a photo?

Will go and get one now, they are worse today, but until yesterday they were absolutely fine, a bit wild, but healthy! One is virtually dead, others going that way, one not too bad, different variety!

Mmm, I've had them collapse overnight - and I mean collapse - but it was back in my early days of growing  toms when I didn't know what to look out for so probably missed the early signs.  Also I was growing  them in a small high walled garden with very poor air circulation and did what neighbours told me which was to keep the humidity high .image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Such a shame, so many tomatoes. Good job we like cheese and chutney! Do you think it will spread to my potato patch?

Good garden hygiene may help - remove and bag the vines.  Wash/sterilise any tools before using in potato area after using in tomato area - wash your hands etc.  Prayer??? image

• ginagibbsginagibbs Posts: 756

I had this the second year I grew toms, still eating the chutney!

Toms need dry heat and air circulationimage dont think our hot humid weather is helping,

mine have been a bit hit and miss this year.