London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
6 messages
14/06/2013 at 21:18

Has anyone heard of a Portuguese pea plant?

I have been given one of these today, but i'm not sure if the peas are good to eat.

The plant looks pretty regular, although their aren't any pods on it yet.

14/06/2013 at 21:25

Never heard of it HR. Had a quick google and found the portuguese word for pea and portuguese recipes for peas. I should make sure it's edible before dinner.

Have you got a photo?

14/06/2013 at 21:49

Could it be a portugese broom ,Cytisus striatus?,which has pale yellow pea like flowers and pods resembling pea pods containing seeds,definately not edible.

15/06/2013 at 20:22

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25602.jpg?width=476&height=350&mode=max

This is the pea.

we have been growing vegetables at school with the kid's and one of them brought in the peas to grow. That's as much as I know.

Maybe I will watch it grow and flower and enjoy it in this way instead!

Thanks for replies.

22/06/2013 at 08:40

Mornin, these are fine for eating. I call them square peas as you will find out! The portugese rarely eat peas and beans fresh (apart from broad beans (Favas) which they go mad on, it's like a national veg, order Prato do dia and you will get broads when in season!!, they grow the peas/beans to dry and use in the winter months in stews and soups etc. Please try Portugal for a holiday, lovely people and great fresh simple cooking! and vin tinto is pretty good as well. Hope this helps.

23/06/2013 at 13:38

Hi There,

thanks a lot, that's really helpful.

Square eh? very interesting..... 

Portugal sounds tempting, but after watching Monty Don's tv series on French gardens, I really fancy Provence.

Too many places, not enough time! 

email image
6 messages